Tank cycle

D

darren

Hi, I purcased my axi 1 week ago and was unaware of any tank cycling, my friend says his tank was cloudy for the first two weeks but then cleared up and he kept his axi in the tank throughout!!!

Mine however has gone very cloudy so I have removed my axolotl and put her in a seperate tank, I change the water every day.

My origional tank has everything in it and the filter is on, is this proper cycling?? it is very cloudy and seems to be getting worse, it was clear for the first 2 days but has gone so cloudy now.

HELP!

Everything you have described is normal for tank cycling. The process can take 2-6 weeks.

Darren - Like Brian said being cloudy is normal.
It was good that you removed your axolotl to a different container of water.

While your tank is cycling do not remove any water from it. Let it finish the cycle. The water will be ugly, that is what you want.

You will need a test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate so you can test the water to determine when the tank is safe for your axolotls return.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back