Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

2' tank for 3?

G

greg

Hi im new to the forums
happy.gif
and I really want to to get some Axolotls, I haven't got a tank yet and im thinking of getting a one that is 2' long, 1' wide and 1' 3" high, would this be big enough to keep 3 Axys in??

Thanks for any info, Greg

C

cynthia

Hi Greg -that would hold approximately 15 US gallons. To me that is kind of small. I think 10 gallons per adult axolotl is better.

It is defiantly easier to maintain water quality in larger tanks.

Disclaimer: this is my personal opinion, your mileage may vary.

G

greg

Ok thanks, should I have one or two in there, if I just had one do you think it would get lonely??

S

sharn

i had two 15cm ones in the same sized tank as you while my other one was being custom made. i thought it was a little cramped for them but i was getting a bigger one. it will hold one fully grown axie i think. yes, i think they do get lonely. my first one loves the second one i got and they spend all their time hanging out. good luck, if you upgraded to a 3 foot tank that should be able to hold two well

G

greg

Thanks I haven't bought the tank yet but I dont have any room for a 3' so i might only get one axie. The tank that i want to get doesnt have a light but it would be next to a window thats not facing the sun bet still gets some light in, does algae grow more in natural sunlight?

C

cynthia

I am not sure if they get "lonely", but I have always kept more than one just because I really like them
happy.gif

You could probably keep 2 in that tank, but I think 3 is too many.

Algae seems to always grows faster in my aquariums that have exposure to windows. The sun doesn't hit the tanks mind you. Axolotls do not like bright light and sunshine would heat the tank up (which you do not want), so a non sunny location is good.

Remember to cycle your tank before you buy an axolotl. Naturally cycling takes 30 days or more.
Buy a good test kit that will allow you to test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

There are a lot of posts on cycling in the forums, and you can also google it if you need more info, or of course ask questions here.

G

greg

Ok so, the to get list...
2' fish tank
Test Kits
external hang on filter
white aquarium sand
pots for caves
plants (fake or real?)
and finaly after a month of cycling 1 or 2 young Axies!
(did I miss anything?)

D

daniel

A gravel cleaner and a couple of 10L buckets so you can do particle water change every 1-2 weeks!!

J

jarred

Most live plants need an aquarium light or sunlight to grow and remain healthy and they can make a lot of mess and require pruning. However, if you can cope with that extra work then your aquarium will look great. Plastic plants are easy to look after, all you need to do is take them out once in a while to get rid of the algae, but some types can look very fake. Consider the good and bad points of each and will know which one to choose. I personally don't have live plants in my axolotl tank but in my tropical tank have a combination of live and plastic. This option might work best for you.

Also, you will need to work out what kinds of food you would like to feed your axolotl and find out where it is available.

Hope this helps.

G

greg

Yep thanks, I think i'll put in the extra work and get real plants for a better look and I already have a gravel cleaner for my other fighting fish tank so I won't have to buy that, i'll get 2 10L buckets aswell. As for food has anyone tried giving their Axie this type of pellet? is it any good?
It is by Aqua Master
33590.jpg

Thanks, Greg

S

sharn

they look like my aquarium science pellets. my axies arent too keen on being hand fed these so i drop a few in and theyre gone by the morning, but im not sure who eats them. i like to moniter what they eat. i got some plant for their aquarium, not sure what it is though. twisting something. long skinny leaves, grass like. i dont have any lights on my tank becuase i find they get more active when its dim. let us know how you go. oh also get a turkey baster for getting poops in between water changes hehe

G

greg

alright thanks for the info
happy.gif
, what other foods do you feed your Axolotls with the pellets? Im thinking of getting these pellets to feed as the main with some freeze dried blood worms, some black worms and occasionally some meal worms. Does that sound fine?

H

heather

Axolotls have a hard time digesting mealworms, so you should only give mealworms as a teat every once in a while. Pellets are a good staple for your axols diet but I would recommend earth worms. So far I havent come across that many axies that dont love earthworms. Also freeze dried foods arent very nutritious, you should try for just frozen foods, theyre more nutritious, but, you cant beat live food!

C

cynthia

Greg - You will also need a water conditioner to remove the chlorine from the water.

You will need something to start the cycle in your tank - a piece of fresh shrimp or fish meat, or fish food - something that will "rot" if you will and start the cycle.

As mentioned, with no light you will need plastic plants. Find soft ones, some of them are quite sharp.

You will need a turkey baster to remove poo with. If you are going to use the fine white sand
be aware it is easily sucked up by gravel vacuums.

Earth worms are a great food to go with the pellets. Black worms could prove tricky to feed, you don't want them escaping and living in the aquarium. You may have to remove your axolotls to a separate container for feeding live black worms.

If you feed meal worms be sure to remove or crush
meal worms mouth before feeding them to axolotls.

As Heather mentioned -avoid freeze dried food and go with frozen.

Happy shopping!

G

greg

Thanks everyone! Do you guys buy your earthworms from petshops?, because i don't think my mum would let me dig up her lawn to go hunting for earthworms!

Greg

C

cynthia

I buy earthworms from a gas station across the street from where I work.

Kind of strange but I have not seen earth worms offered at any of my local pet stores.

I hope to set up a worm box this year and grow my own.

M

maggie

Note: There are many types of water plants that do not need full sunlight to grow. I'm sure you can find some at an aquarium store. If the aquarium is near a window, you will probably be able to grow low-light plants easily.

My axies really like the plants. The plants are not rooted anywhere, so the axies burrow under them and "hide" when they like.

The low-light plants in my tank do not get any sunlight. The only light they get is from a desk lamp which is pointed away from the tank on a fish bowl for guppies. Just remember that wherever plants can grow, algae can too, so you may want to get a scrubbing sponge.

Good luck!

(Message edited by zeek333 on April 04, 2005)

G

greg

oh ok maybe i could get the worms from a bait shop, Maggie what low light plants do you keep in your tank? Also can anyone suggest a good hang on filter that can be adjusted to a slower rate for my tank? thanks for the help
happy.gif

C

cynthia

Yes Maggie please let us know the names of the plants you have or a picture so we can look them up
happy.gif

M

maggie

The plants I have in my aquarium are Elodea (Canadian pondweed). My boyfriend brought them to school from his pond at home. The stalks I have do not have root structures so the axolotls can move them around and not do much harm, while the plants can still continue to grow.

There are many species of Elodea but I think some are considered invasive in Australia. Check with the pet store, there is probably a good substitute.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1