Filter?

J

john

My filter is going out. It is a 150 aquaclear power-filter. I have it in a 20 gallon tank with my axies. Any sugestions?

Ps My mom says there a "funky" smell. What could be causing this?

If you are thinking of a replacement filter; I really like Fluval external canister filters. A 20 gallon tank would take a Fluval 104.

The best price is usually at: http://www.bigalsonline.com

I have Fluval 204's on 29 and 40 gallon tanks and they have performed well and are easy to change.

I made a baffle for the filter on the axolotl tank out of a Rx bottle, drilled full of holes. You can see a picture of it here:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/793/28882.html#POST43554

Fluval filters are really good, but I would prefer something a little less powerful on a 20 galon. Go with the fluval internal filters or another aquaclear. What part of your aquaclear is going? Interestingly enough, they all use the same motor until you get to the 500, so if it's just an impeller problem, all you need to do is replace that. If you need to replace the motor, you might as well but a whole new filter (replacement motors cost around $20). I'd suggest the aquaclear 200 for that sized tank.

What kind of smell exactly? Different smells are the symptoms of different problems. As a band aid solution, add carbon to the filter. That will get rid of the smell, at least somewhat, but not necessarily fix the underlying problem.

(Message edited by brian on March 24, 2005)

Brian - I have one of the Fluval internal filters and it could just be me but... I really do not like it at all. It makes too much current even on the low setting and it has only sponge inside no place for carbon. It was hard to get to hang back in the tank after cleaning and takes up too much room inside the tank.

I replaced the internal Fluval with the old school corner filter that you put carbon and filter floss in.

I've got a small duetto in my semiaquatic tank (about 10 gallons of water), and I back it up with a small sponge filter on the other side of the tank, and I find this setup works excellent. The only problem I have with the duetto (model 50, I think. One step up from the mini) is that the motor housing is kind of difficult to remove from the media chamber, and priming it is a pain. But it's a great filter, and takes up so little space. And it can be used in shallow water also.

Cynthia - The Fluval internals have a carbon-fiber filter pad that does the same thing as loose carbon does. But you can put anything in them. I've run them with BioMax before even! I have a small one on a 33 gallon tank (soon to be home to some mudskippers) with a home-made spray bar to reduce the outflow pressure. Normally I would use either a small external canister filter, or a hang on the back type like an AquaClear, but with the mudskippers only having 5" of water, they were unsuitable.

Hehe. We could be here debating the issue of filters for months. You should see the arguments we get when me and my other friends who keep fish get together.

I love mudskippers. The lfs had some last summer, it was so tempting!

(I still don't like fluval internal filters, mine will be listed on ebay at some point in the future lol)

They are great. They've got so much personality. I couldn't resist them when I saw them in their tank, doing backflips at each other to mark their territory. The kicker was when I stuck my hand in the tank and one hopped right into it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back