Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Odd smell

J

jacqui

I'm the new owner of an albino axie.
I previously owned tropical fish, and was told to remove the heater, and the fish, and the tank was already set up for the axie (eg - I didn't need the tank to cycle first).

However, ever since I put the axie in the tank, there has been this funky smell - kinda smells like...warm meat. I have tried the axie on frozen food - but he wasn't interested - however, the pet shop said they had given the axies a big feed the day I brought him.

I removed all the uneaten food, and left him to it.

I have been doing alternate day water changes - with added stress coat, and stress zyme. I have also purchased and am using new filter medium in the filter.

However, the stink remains.

I also do not own a syphon (yet - nor can I find the one we use for the goldfish tank) - and have been shifting the gravel manually (eg with my hand) at water changes - in an effort to clean the gravel.

Have noticed some white (in the tank - looks like mould when I tip the bucket out) stuff in the water - when I moved the gravel - which I scoop out. Looks like lint...

What can I do?
Jax

S

sharn

i think the smell is from the nirate etc being imbalanced. mine used to stink too but it went away, didnt do anything. someone more experianced will be able to help ya

B

brian

Are you using carbon in the filter? It will absorb some of the smell. I've never heard of a "warm meat" smell before, though, so couldn't tell you what it is. Get a syphon, give it a good cleaning, and see if that helps.

J

jacqui

Thanks Brian, and Sharn.

Warm meat...you know when you get something out of the freezer for tea, and forget about it? And it thaws, then gets warm (and spoils?) - kinda like that. It's really odd.

I think i have carbon in one of the filter thingies.

Will get the syphon, or ask my flatmate where his has got to and use that in the mean time.

Thanks again.

Jax

B

brian

Sharn - I know the smell you are talking about, but I'm not sure thats the problem here. I wouldn't describe it as a warm meat smell, more of a rotting vegetation smell (if it's the same smell I'm thinking).

Jacqui - What are you feeding them?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!