Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Food glorious food

P

paula

i'm sure this subject has been covered a million times..sorry. My axie has been alive and kicking for 2 months now. i have found that bloodworms are messy and pellets wasteful. i have started to give him cooked shrimps that he appears to adore and also small gutted whiting. is this an appriopriate diet or am i asking for trouble? i would appreciate any advice generally as don't want to give him anything detrimental to his well being.. thank you. p.s am i the only one who find them beautiful? my family find him 'gross'. how very rude!!!

M

maria

I think all of us on this axie section will agree that they aren't gross. I think they are cute and very clever! Have you tried earthworms? Or crickets?

Pellets are good too (just remove what they don't eat or feed them less at a time). I wouldn't feed them cooked foods, I am not certain if that will give them the right nutrition they need.

A

amy

Everyone who sees my axy says he's weird and ugly
sad.gif
My Mum & I think he's gorgeous, i don't see how anyone could think axolotls are ugly.
I'd try him on earth worms. I find them to be the easiest and least messy food source for my axy.

R

ross

I'm new to the forum here and not really sure what I'm doing but I wanted to post a recipe for a paste food that I use with my Killifish that I thought would be very good for Axolotls.
I make a paste food for my killifish out of equal parts of beef heart,
catfish, and frozen shrimp or crawfish (here in Louisiana). For the fish I
add some spirulina and some astaxanthin for color. Then I take some plain
gelatine (sure gel) and add that to the mix. I take a little and put it in a
ziplock lay it flat and freeze it. The sure gel binds the mix together and
it doesn't foul the water. I wanted to post the recipe on the forum to see
what the other members think about what could be added or subtracted to make
it better for axolotls. The threads for the Frozen Food catogory seems to be closed so I'm posting it here.

S

shadow

hi i wanted to know if u can feed a 25cm long axy prawns???????????? thanx

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1