Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How long can they travel?

J

jess

I am going to Melbourne next month and am wanting to bring a couple of axies home with me, I am coming home on the spirit, I have known someone to bring one home with them before, the boat trip is a 10 hour trip, will they be fine in my car during this time? Once i get back onto ground they will be right i can see to them. What precautions do i need to take to make sure my axie is right during this time? As i am not allowed to bring them back to tassie so cannot really bring it out of the car??? Any tips???

K

k

Well, since you're not allowed to bring them back, you probably shouldn't buy them at all.

N

natasha

Jess, State Fishery laws in Tassie prevent axies being kept there. (I am from Tassie originally)even if you could sneak them across, the trip on the spirit would not be good for them it got pretty rough when I went across. And don't forget the sniffer dog when you dock in Devonport!!

V

vanessa

Hmm... I didn't know Tasmania wouldn't allow axies in!! That's terrible cos these cuties are too cute! Michael's right... bring an icepack and a lawyer *laughs* Make sure you pick a good one. Just joking... well Tassie sucks because of their stupid fishery law!
angry.gif
nono.gif
Move to Victoria or NSW or something then you can keep the little cuties.

J

jess

the sniffer dogs don't sniff out the axolotls. only fruit and drugs, i know someone else that bought a couple back a few months ago, apprantly he hid them under the seat of his car. so i am not worried there, more worried about the trip over for them.

K

kim

Most people on this sit will not condole this sort of thing...

Well if your going to do it theres nothing we can do but give you advice for the little ones.. Take plently of ice packs and try and keep them in the dark.. another thing would be to try fit them in so the tub/box they are in isnt moving around too much..

Best of luck!

B

brian

If it's going to be a really long trip, the you can get battery-operated air pumps from the pet store. They make quite a bit of noise. They're good for power outages too.

N

natasha

They have those laws for a reason. Tassie is very well known for its fishing industry they do not want axolotls accidently in their water ways. I know it sucks I din't get one until I moved to WA.

V

vanessa

Hmm... maybe we should make an appeal on a piece of paper and send it to the Tasmanian Government!! We should say things like... Axies stays in tanks NOT waters so why don't you frickin' let us have axies in Tasmania!!
violent.gif

K

kyle

heh... yeah that'd be great... just like african clawed frogs stay in tanks here in the states... and yet California now has wild populations of the frogs in their water ways... or all tropical fish stay in fish tanks... but they have Tilapia and Oscars infesting the Everglades... laws are laws for reasons, and even if you're joking around... you shouldn't lol.

S

sophia

HMMM...depending on how many you are getting you can pick up reasonably priced small tanks...i got 4 - half foot tanks from overflow @ $2 each otherwise 1 ft ones from $15 (or so) depending on size and number of axolotls - as well as ice packs try putting the tanks in a styrofoam esky/the ones they use to transport fish like saratogas. this will allow for darkness just remember to put them at the bottom of the dirty laundry basket which is full of clothes when entering Tassie
happy.gif
as the esky will prolly be searched

sc

D

declan

from a UK point of view this is extream but what do the people think about transfering an AXie from The north to London By , Say, Car or train?!!!!?

L

leighton

For Declan, rather than Jess (I sympathise, but Kyle's right - you must be familiar with cane toads, mate) - we transferred our own axolotls from Aberystwyth to Dundee by van, in the footwell. The journey was around 10 hours in total and I think so long as you're a gentle driver, and they're kept cool and in the dark you should be all right.

Any travel like that is bound to stress the animal, so whatever you can do to make them comfortable should be done - ice packs, darkness, and special care stopping and changing direction to avoid splashing and excessive water movement in the tank should see them right. Particularly, keep the axolotls out of direct sunlight and don't leave them standing in a hot car.

J

justine

well i really think that you should move to VIC or NSW so that you can have one legally, i just got one yesterday for $20 at a market, i live in melbourne, and now its at home with me, LEGALLY, so just move, because you must know some people there. I mean, why else would you be going there if you didn't know anyone. Just move if you want one so much that you're willing to have it illegally.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1