Jumpy axolotl

A

ashley

Hi, I just got my axolotl yesterday, and he seems to be fine except for one thing - occasionally he jumps/convulses, as if he is hiccupping. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal, or is there a problem?

Thanks,
Ashley

Asley does he do this when you are dropping food into the tank or other times too?

Most axies are fairly sedentary but burp or yawn occaisionally but that doesn't involve lunging about the tank.

one of mine does that too. One minute she's hanging about doing nothing - then she jerks kind of up and backwards - then lands and continues doing absolutely nothing

I've always just put it down to 'another of those weird things lotls do'

I used to have a cat that did the same thing, except she'd then have a wash and pretend she's done no such thing!

Charlie,

What type for gravel do you have in your tank? so is it sand? i cant tell from that picture

It's sand Kim...after a lot of trial and error i've found it works best for my set up

ahhh yes me 2!

Very nice colour... i have the normal 'sand' colour.. where did you get the lovely blue from?

an aquarium shop just round the corner - would have thought most of them stock it

i used to have some of that blue sand i foundit was to expensive to fill my whole 3 foot tank so i bought the normal coloured aqaurium sand and found that it is way cheaper

Speaking of pretty sand, has any used garnet sand before? I saw some at the shop and am thinking of replacing the old gravel floor.

I wanted the same kind of gravel but purple. It was too expensive so I bought normal natural white gravel and covered it with one packet of purple. Over time it got dispersed through the white and now it looks great, especially with the black axolotl.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back