Why do my babies keep rushing up to the surface for gulps of air?

L

lulu

<font color="0000ff"><font size="+1"><font face="arial,helvetica">my babies keep rushing to the surface for gulps of air. whats going on?</font></font></font>

That's very Normal Because they have little lung All Axolotl's do it!!

Dan

so why if they dont use their lungs to breathe do they have to fill them?

I Never said that they don't use their lungs, Ever so often they will go up for a gulp of air and another way they breath is to flap there gill witch make's oxygen and they collect oxygen thru there skin as well the reason for this is that if the ever metamorphosed that how they breath out of water .

P.S they breath on land only thru the skin and with there lung's

Dan

Axies that constantly go up to the waters edge to get air means you dont have enough air in the water. You need to add a air stone on a low setting this will the move the op of the water which in turn uts more air into the water.

All 3 of my axies do go up to the surface from time to time for a gulp of air, this is normal.

When a axie is flicking its gills it is pushing fresh water over them so to get more oxygen, not to make oxygen.

As far as im aware a morphed axie (which is rare) will breath with its lungs, as during metamorphosis they develop so they can use them for brething, Mikki or Mike, please correct me if im wrong.

So if they are coming to the surface quite alot add a air pump and stone... you will soon see less of it.

Not an expert on morpholotls...dont think anyone really is. But even with lungs I would expect that the majority of their o2 uptake is direct through the skin, similar to tigers and most other sallies or newts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back