Female or Male?

M

mercedes

Can anyone tell me if my axies are female or male? Please see pics below. Thank you!

28305.jpg

28306.jpg

How old are they? they still look a bit to young to be sexed. they need to be around 6-7 months old.

Tis true we need to look at "the other end"
wink.gif

But they still appear to be too young to tell.
Mine are getting near 5 months and I still can't tell what sex they are for sure.

Mine are only 3 months!! So you are right they are still to young to know the sex. Thanks guys for your support!!
talker.gif

just a question, might be just wishful thinking but about the head size thing to tell the difference between male and females, is that from when they are young or does it develop later on? the reason i ask this is because ive found a pretty good way of sexing (i hope!). if you measure the width of the head with your fingers and compare it with the length, on the females, both measurements should be about the same but in the males, the length is quite a bit longer than the width. works for me! is this reliable?

I dont think it has been properly proven but it tends to be that the females head is more broader and the males is longer

I have heard something like Amy is talking about but, I don't know if it's true?

(Message edited by lupita2301 on December 29, 2004)

Mercedes if you check the archives in the main forum section called Photo Gallery, Technique and Discussion you will find some fotos, of naughty bits and hips, I posted some months ago under the thread heading of "gender".

Females do have broader muzzles than males but it can be quite subtle to detect especially if you are comparing two animals of same gender.

Another check is that females have wider bodies than the males. The males are quite skinny but the females quickly widen from the hips forward...just like a newly married italian wife...lol

At only 3 months though you will need to sit tight an be patient.

Still they are a nice cute pair - leucistic and wildtype if you hadn't worked that out for yourself ;-)

This has also been rather informative for us... When we purchased our little axolotl, we were mis-informed about SOOOOO many things. They did however tell us that - without doubt - our axolotl was a girl. We have no idea how old she is. We have had her only for a few weeks, and she is still only about 15cms long. I guess we too will have to sit tight and wait.

Interesting update from my youngest axies...

I have a tank full of females so I thought. Ariel (wild), Pyslocke (melanoid) and Arwen (leucy) are definitely all female; I have seen each of them laying eggs in the past. But I also have Moonpie (melanoid albino) and Saphy (golden albino) in the tank - both youngsters 6-8" with the flattest cloaca ever & broad muzzles.

I have eggs all white; a couple of hundred. Arwen appears to be mum. Her cloaca was wide open that morning (and she isn't a prolific egg layer) . Wondering who was Dad, I am thinking it's Moonpie.

Nice to see I can get it wrong...lol. But it's really hard to be certain with youngsters. At least the male tank is still all male...I have another Golden in there of same age (Cobweb). By the way and for general info I frequently find s'phores I the male only tank...it's normal.

I'll be interested to see if the eggs result in leucy's or albino's. Might help me determine who is Dad and file a paternity suit.

Mikki, I believe that if the eggs are white in colour it means that one of the parents will be a melanoid albino... Well i may be wrong, but all the eggs I got from John were white and mum was a melanoid albino.

yeah I'll think about it
Arwen = leucy (d/d other alleles unknown), Moonpie = melanoid albino (a/a m/m developmental alleles unknown).

Might just have to wait and see what colour eyes thay all have.

In any case they'll be cuties.

If they are ugly then I know Tweak sneaked out of his tank went into the garage, climbed in there, did the business and then returned the way he came (and they'll all be leucy's too!).

Gotta keep a keen eye on the young men there mik
wink.gif

Congrats on the surprise axolotls.

lol cheers Cynthia, now let see if I can keep this bunch alive longer than the last lot and that aliens don't come and whisk them off.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back