Adding items to tanks

O

oz

Hey.

I've recently got a pair of axolotls, and for the most part they seem to be happy. A problem that I'm encountering, though, is that they are hiding behind the tank filter for a lot of the day, presumably to keep out of the sun. I was thinking about putting a plastic flower pot in the tank for them to hide in, but was concerned that the plastic might contain chemicals that may be harmful to the axolotls. Is it okay to put something like this in the tank? Would it be better/worse to use a ceramic pot? I'm probably being too paranoid about this, but I don't want to kill them.

Thanks in advance
oz

Im no expert but i presume.

1. They are stressed and just getting used to the tank. I know when i first got my adults they hid behind ornamanets for the first day or two.

2. They could be exposed to direct sunlight all day. So try to minimise that. Maybe if possible put up a blind over the window? or shift them to a place out of direct sunlight or in a place where that sunlight can be shut out.

Also you can go to your local pet/aquarium store and get an ornament such as a hollow log or something that they can crawl in and hide.

I have a bridge which they go under for some shade and a pvc pipe which allows to axies to be in there in shade.

Im not sure about the plastic pot though. Maybe one of the pro's here might know about that.

I know i've seen photos here with people using ceramic pots(so that obviously isnt a problem), pvc piping, caves and the like.

Hope they help.

Flower pots are fine to put in tanks. BUT make sure they are new. Don't put in used ones and always wash anything you put in the tank very well.

If you have sun shining direct on your tank then it may be wise to move it to a shaded position. Or perhaps provide screening round the sides that are affected. I use black plastic rigid sheeting on sides and rear of my display tank which happen to be in the kitchen.

Axies don't need strong light and many people here don't bother with tank lighting either.

Thanks everyone for your advice, I'll keep the curtains drawn until I can find a better place for the tank.

oz

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back