Just bought my first one

S

shelagh

Hi everybody

I am a school teacher and have just bought my first Axolotl (still can't spell it), to live in my lovely warm classroom during term time and my music room at home in the holidays.
lick.gif

I was originally going to buy some fish as I have discovered that children find it very difficult to listen to music without something to look at. However after a trip to our local aqua shop I fell in love.
love.gif

So the tanks set up, the filters buzzing merrily getting everything ready, and my baby is coming home on Friday.

Any tips, or anything vital I need to know as I am a real beginner

Many thanks

You've definitely come to the right place and might I add..THE best place on the net...

Welcome Shelagh Lee

There are a lot of topics down in the Axolotl section of the forum and definitely check out caudata.org's sister site:

http://axolotl.org

-Cynthia

Welcome Shelagh Lee, there are many people here that can definitely help you out!!!
happy.gif

Thanks everybody

I have already found the site really informative, and am really looking forward to collecting him on Friday. Gosh - it's almost as exciting as having a human child - and much cuter!
lol.gif

Hi Shelagh,

I just noted you said... 'to live in my lovely warm classroom' please note axies get very stressed kept at high temps. Just wanted to make sure you new this as we want your axie to live a very good life!

Good luck, and any pictures of your new friend would be great!

Wish my school let us have Axolotls in our music class!

you would be suprised at how hot room temperature really gets. I have the heat here set to 66 or so here in bellingham washington, but at my college the temperature sometimes is at 75 degrees or above, which might be too hot. So please read though http://www.axolotl.org/ John Clares site, it is quite thorough.

Hi Shelagh,

Congratulations on your first axolotl! I'll be moving your post to the Axolotl section at the end of this week, that way more axie people can see this post and say 'hi' to you.

Hi

Don't worry about the classroom temperature as it won't rise above about 65 max, as its an old building, and because of the piano the heating is kept right down.

Hi all,
Having set the tank up (following the advice of my friendly shop) it exploded (well actually emptied its entire contents on the floor), so one new tank, and delayed retrieval of my axie from its nice tank in the shop later...... Hopefully if this tank is ok I will collect him on Sunday as they won't keep him any longer. Would have prefered to have let the tank get more established but I have done the best I can.
One question - what exactly is the optimum temperature? Everything I have read leads me to believe that an unheated tank is best, but the shop seems to think I need a heater... Help please before Sunday when I collect my little friend.

Forget the heater Shelagh, and the advice of your friendly (ignorant) shop.
bowl.gif

Actually ended up with two as my tank is a good size and the one I had purchased had lived for three months in the same tank as the other one. Both have dark markings on their feet so I guess they are sexually mature but one is a little smaller than the other.
Both seem to have settled quite well and are eating (cockles - one each). All the other teachers are facinated by them.
Question - can I feed them garden worms?

Earth worms are a great staple for them, I feed mine mainly on these pellets and bloodworms (which I put them in an holding tank for, as its very messy). Not sure if cockles are a good staple, but someone please corect me if im wrong!

The best temp for them is 14-18c

Black toes are a indication that they are mature. What colours did you get?

Good luck... and waiting for some photos! :D

Definately no heater Shelagh, in fact you're main problem will (probably) be keeping them cool enough in summer.....if you stay around on the boards you'll notice a spike of posts from various countries as they each hit the hot season (or, in England's case - the warmish season lol)

There's not much you need to know that isn't on John's information site - but one thing i clocked onto late was the hard water thing....if you're in a soft water area, adding something like crushed coral to the tank will make them a lot more comfortable

good luck and have fun! they're really great lil lurky critters

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back