2 new axolotls

M

maggie

I'm a little new to this. I just got two axolotls yesterday. I bought them online from an educational supply company because no pet shops around here have them in the winter. They're about the same size. Sometimes one of them seems to try to bite the other, are they hungry? I tried giving them brine shrimp pellets but they are too hard for them to swallow. I'm going to buy some blood worms next. Is there a way to make them go to the surface to eat? They're warming up to me and don't hide but they spend most of their time sitting or slowly crawling on the bottom of the tank. Do they ever swim around like fish? Thanks!

Hi Maggie --

Congrats on the new axolotls and welcome to c.org! I got my first two (I have four now) from a biological supply company as well back in July and they're now about 8.5 inches apiece.

Anyway -- I would try frozen brine shrimp. It comes in cubes and you can get it from almost any pet store. When mine were tiny, I used the San Francisco Bay brand (http://www.sfbb.com) and they loved it. Generally, they don't come to the surface to eat, though it may be possible to train them, but I'm not 100% certain that works.

Yes, they do swim, but spend most of their time at the bottom of the tank.

Also - I see that you're in NY. As an afterthought, at the New York Metro Reptile Expo in White Plains, there's usually someone who sells axolotls. That's where I got my other two. The next one is January 14-15.

If you haven't already, check out http://axolotl.org (caudata.org's sister site devoted strictly to axolotls.)

Hope that helps and good luck!

Welcome maggie we look forward to you joining in the discussions and sharing your exeriances.

I will look into the frozen brine shrimp. There isn't a pet store near here but there is back at school. Do you think it's a good idea to get a catfish like a corydoras to eat all of the food the axolotls leave on the gravel? They don't seem to want to pick it up and only try to eat what I drop in front of them. So if they miss it or spit it out the food will just sit there. Getting a fish that will be happy to eat the leftovers seems more practical than me picking out all of the pieces. The axolotls are only 3.5" right now.

no better to buy a gravel syphon and suck up uneaten food after each feeding.
Not all cat fish are compatible with axies and many can't stand the colder temps axies prefer.

As I mentioned, the axolotls are only about 3.5" or 9cm right now. So I'm guessing they are about 3 or 4 months, is that about right? At what age or length should I cut back feeding them every day?

Maggie - I offer my axolotls food every day no matter how old they are. If they don't take it, I don't worry about it unless they skip several days in a row.

Adults can go for several days without feeding and there are those who say "in the wild they don't eat everyday".

I can only say mine are in the living room and they are pets, and they beg. They are axolotls not super models, I feed them daily.

Maggie, it's always hard to tell how old they are because they grow at different rates. There can be considerable difference between axies in the same batch that all hatched same day.

But 9cm could be may where from 3 - 6mths from what I have seen. I wouldn't lose sleep over it they live for 15 years or so. 3 mths/6mths c'est la vie.

I used to feed my younger ones everyday but now their appetite has curbed a little and they feed every other day. Occaisionally I will offer food every day and when I do they will take it.

I suggest you continue to feed every day until they are about 200mm long and then see how they go on.

(Message edited by mikki on January 07, 2005)

Yesterday and today I have been feeding them freeze-dried blood worm larva because that is the only thing they won't spit out. How much should I feed them? They just keep eating and eating. They've learned to go up to the surface and I hold a piece in front of them with tweezers and they grab it. Is there an amount I should stop at or will they stop eating when they want to?

When I had two small ones like yours I used to feed a bag of fresh adult artemia everyday.

Or you could try earthworms I think for the size you have I would allow one worm per day of about 30mm long. Axies love earthworms...you might call them nightcrawlers tho ;-)

Alfred will probably have axolotls at the White Plains show next week. I'm sure their will be axys and salmon pellets at the next show after that one.

Maggie- as mik said earth worms are a good choice. You can cut the earthworms into smaller sections if yours reject large pieces.

If yours will only eat blood worms for now, try frozen blood worms. They have more nutrition than freeze dried.

I thaw a small "chunk" of frozen blood worms in some tank water in a cup. Then I pour off as much of the water as possible (it will be messy water) and then suck the worms up in a syringe and feed them.

Try introducing new foods, like earth worms, frozen blood worms, soft moist salmon pellets on a regular basis. If they reject them today they might decide the like them next week. Some axolotls are fickle like that
happy.gif

An Axolotl tank would probably be too cold for Corydoras and even if it weren't they'd probably get eaten sooner or later.

Not to mention Corydoras fins are sharp and hard, they could injure the axolotl who tried to eat one.

Alfred didn't make it down today. The weather is bad north of here. He didn't get any axolotls to take to White Plains next week.

I've got a Chinese Algae eater called Alfred. He had a buddy called Crazy Eye Joe but he died. He dug a hole in the gravel last night and I don't know why.

He's quite the character.

Thanks for all your suggestions! Here's an update. I have a small corner filter for my 10 gal tank. The little guys tend to stay on the bottom of the tank when it is on, but when I turn it off they swim to the top. I started feeding them there, so that is how I got them trained. I have been reading more about food for them and I think that pellets would be a good choice eventually. Does anyone use the Rangen salmon pellets that Indiana University uses? I was wondering if someone could give me feedback on them since they are $10 with shipping. Thanks again.

I use the IU Rangen Salmon Pellets and my axolotls love them. I personally think they're great. They also last a pretty long time. I got two 1lb. bags a few months ago and I still have plenty left.

I think Mr. Shrom was also selling some in the Advertisements section.
happy.gif

Maggie - I use the Rangen pellets (along with other foods). I requested a sample from Rangen and they sent me the large size pellets. I bought some of the small size from IU.

The Rangen company is not far from where I live, and I was considering buying 40 pounds (their minium order) and freezing them. But then I found I could purchase small amounts from IU and as Dot said Michael Shrom has advertised them too.

i have 3 juvi's and 2 adult axies.

I feed the 3 juvi's one shrimp pellet in the morning each and one in the night. They either gulp it whole or just nibble.

I only got the adults yesterday so not really into a feeding pattern. I will probably be feeding them earthworms, going to get some tomorrow and going to be breeding them myself :D. Also for adults some people will say guppies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back