Lids for Axolotl housing?

P

pamela

Hello! Sorry if my query has shown up twice. It looks as though my last one did not post.

I have just acquired two young Axolotls. I know that my newts need a secure lid for their housing, but do these guys? Thank you!!

Normally they don't need lids. An agitated axolotl or one in poor quality water might jump out of the tank is filled right to the top.

I dont use a lid. I house my 3 6.5" axies in a 30-gal rubbermaid tub without a lid. Like Mike said, just dont fill it all the way to the top (I keep the water about 4 or 5 inches below the top of the container). Axies arent Salmon, and aren't marveled for their jumping skills, but still can jump if spooked or in discomfort.

Thank you both so much for your replies. I hope that I have as much success (luck) with these Axies as I have had with my newts. (They (newts) are having babies it seems like all the time now!) This site is wonderful, and everyone has been extremely helpful, and kind. Take care.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back