Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My new axy!!

J

jenny

i got a new axy from bolton yesterday cos i felt tight on it! there were about 4 of them and they all had a fungus but one was really bad the man said the others were recovering well n i was like why dont u seperate that one cos it might make the others worse and he said he doesnt wanna disturb it and risk it getting worse and i was like well its better risking one than 5 but he still didnt seem convinced. but the one i bought is a lil wild type and prob related to oswold as they have the same breeder i think. except this ones gills are real lil and osys r huge. i called it sunday! and i picked it because it has its mouth permanently open like miks n it looks dead cute.

fijibobs gills have developed well good they have fluffy bits on them now!

M

mary

I'm not too sure you picked the right one. It sounds a bit sick Jenny. Sorry. If it has a fungus dont put it with the others even if it seems like it is clearing up. Did you make sure it can eat properly with its mouth problem?

M

mik

Yep, Jenny try keep him quarantined for a few days with salt baths and protozin to get rid of any fungus.
How about a piccy of the little chap...you know we love piccys...good luck with him

K

kaysie

Open mouths arent necessarily cute. They're usually a sign of infection. Remember, Mikki took Tweak to the vet to make sure it wasnt an infection or edema. Little gills are also a bad thing. Little gills would be like me removing one of your lungs. Its not good.

Like Mary says, you NEED to quarantine it for at least 60 days, if it was even near other axies with fungus. Otherwise you'll probably have lots of axies with fungus

P

peter

Jenny, I don't want to sound mean or anything, but could you please slow down when you type, and try not to have run on sentences? It's really difficult to understand what you're saying. Abbreviations are fine too, but when 10% or more of the words are abbreviated, it just gets difficult. Just some suggestions, anyhow, good luck with your animals.

K

kim

Jenny,

Are you sure you can take care of all these animals... its great you ask lots of questions, but im worried you goin to end up with loads of axies then they breed etc etc.. then what are you goin to do?

J

jenny

so why would i be incapable of looking after babies rather than someone else in this forum just because i have 4 possibly 5 (depending on what happens with oswold) axolotls? and i would be able to find homes for them even if it means no pet shops wanting to buy them i would give them for free.

J

jenny

he is eating ok. he hasnt got any visible fungus but he is on his own. but then so are all the others until i get my new tank. and harriet eats slugs the size of secil (ive changed his name from sunday to secil..or cecil) so would not be a good idea to put them together! im gonna tank devide the top shelf when my new tank comes and put it him/her in there! i got a new phone today because i left my charger at ma m8s house (my phone was looking to be replaced anyways...this just gave me more reason to do it) anyways....i got a 3 phone and thought the video and pics would be good quality and i could take pix of my babies with it but it isnt so im taking back and getting one of those new samsung ones because my boyfriend has the one downgraded from that and it takes well good pics cos has a digital cam in or something, so yay!

K

kim

Jenny,

Im not saying you wouldnt be able to look after them, im saying do you think you would be able?

From what i can tell you live with your mum i know that my parents wouldnt want 20 or so tub around the house with baby axies in... then you have to re home them.. what happens if you cant give them away?

Just a few thoughts that all.

J

jenny

it leaked so i took it back to pets at home and they gave me a refund. then i went to pier aquatics and getting a tank to my own spec which is givin me about 5 foot of floor space and 18 inches wide :D

i got a new axy to a leceustic one its called jarred but my bf is keepin oswold and will take jarred when its bigger cos is only a few inches like cecil

K

kim

so Jenny how many axies do you have? I think we are all going around and around working out what you do and dont have.

J

jenny

i have a golden albino a melanoid 2 wild types and two leceustics but my boyfriend is looking after one wildtype and albino til my tank has arrived and is eventually taking the wildtype hes already looking after and the leceustic when it gets bigger

K

kim

Jenny,

can you please use punctuation .. a few if not most of us are having problems understanding you.

J

jenny

i have a golden albino, a melanoid, 2 wild types and two leceustics, but my boyfriend is looking after one wildtype and albino til my tank has arrived and is eventually taking the wildtype hes already looking after and the leceustic when it gets bigger

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1