My odd axolotls!

J

jenny

ok i got my golden adult albino today. very impressed with myself. it was thirty five and i managed to mangle it down to £20! maybe it was cos they had it for seven months (which ill get to in a min) and just wanted to get rid of it...

but anyways...my albino which i have called fijibob is really skinny and only about 7 inches long. and they said it was the same size as when they got it 7 months ago!! elizabeth who i thought was a boy cos of the size of harriet im now thinkin is prob actually a girl compared to fijibob. however elizabeths clocoa is a lot bigger than fijibobs! harriet and elizabeth are apparently 3 years old and only 7-8 inches to! fijibobs tail at the top has a bit missing yet he was on his own so im guessin its been there for a while so why hasnt it refixed?
oswold is cool though he seems fine except he has fungus and i cant find any suitable salt which is why i have to take him to the vet to get some which the vet will prob charge me about 20-30 quid for! as the vet said he hasntdealt with axys for a while so needs to read up a bit on em i think he shud consider oswold a guinea pig and treat him for free! does anyone else have miserable axys? i can see fiji being one like elizabeth im wondering if this has anythin to do with being ina small tank for most of your life in a pet shop? although harriet is happy enough and she was ina tank same as liz. by the way oswold is in the big tank...the others wont catch his fungus will they? although the fungus seems to be getting better i think he mmight have just needed good filteration.

ok, you've confussed me!! I'v'e read it twice (although I do have 3 screaming kids running a muck around my feet) I am still not sure what you are saying? Are they all in the same tank? Cause the one with the fungus should be in a seperate container, they shouldn't be sharing the same water - even if it is a big tank. If you can't get a tank or anything, just get a bucket - wash it out properly, put a bit of gravel in the bottom and use that, and just change a bit of the water everyday if you don't have a filter in it. Also, axi's are just like anyother animals - including humans, they need time to adjust to a new enviroment, give them time and they will be ok, also they have different personalities like humans, we arn't allways fun to be around, we get grumpy and upset, but then again some people are happy all the time, they are always smiling and pleasent, there are some people who love alot of sport and activity and there are some who just mpoe around all day and watch tv and eat. That does't mean that there is anything wrong with them, they are just different. If my axi's were people then the big male would be a bum on the street, the black female would be one of those really fun but really ditzy people and the yellow female would probably still be a little kid who asks alot of questions, but just never gets it and never grows up! i wouldn't be too worried.

hmm if my black female was a human shed be same as yours. anyone elses black female like that? lol

still wonderin bout the size of them though. they should all except osy be like 12 inches by now??

axolotls can be full grown at 7 inches, it depends on the individual. most will grow to be a bit bigger, they can get up to 12 inches.

i wouldn't put oswald in with the others if he's sick! fungus will spread through the water as far as i know - can anyone back me up on that? sick animals should always be kept alone. even if he wasn't sick, he should still not be kept with the other two because they're so much bigger than him, they might think he's food :/

hes been in the big tank for a few days now they dont mind him. and when i put fijibob in the tank they all started slowly walkin towards him next to him in size order wi hari close up front followed by liz then osy it was so cute. they just stared at him n were then like blah whatever n went their seperate ways. i got my squeeji thing today in the post from the sea monkey website its well good! i suck a worm in it then squeeze it out slightly then dangle it infront of their face till they see it properly then they go for it n suck it out fully cos with fiji n liz, i dunno if they have sensing probs but they always miss the food! plus as im gonna put osy in his own tank now its good for suckin up his poo n other dirt that builds up!

i know ive said b4 about lizs extra leg n someone said its just something that happens sometimes..but is it because shes imbred or something? (i dunno if shes inbred but could that cause it??)

Extra legs are usually because a leg was damaged but not removed, and the body mistakes it for being removed and grows a new one from the damage.

Move the sick one with the fungus out, or you'll have 4 axies with fungus instead of one.

Axies tend to hunt more by smell and motion than actual sight. Mine usually miss a few times before finally getting it. Thats normal.

If you check yahoo group axolotl_list I posted a couple of small MPEG of a young Sirius and Ariel feeding. Occaisionally they miss, some seem to be worse than others but they get there in the end.

When I drop a worm in I aim for near the head. Most worms never reach the bottom of tank...and if they do their life expectancy can be measured in milliseconds...lol.
I love axies!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back