Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New dartfrog tank

M

mark

just thought in would post an image of my new dartfrog tank. hope you like!
28477.jpg

E

edward

Here is a picture of the tank I have at home for dart frogs (dwarf tincts). I am also in the very slow process of creating a 55 gallon planted tank with a drip wall.

28488.jpg

M

mark

i like the look of some splashback ( d. Galactonotus) and some D. auratus. what would you think. i must admit alan that you first got me thinking about dartfrogs just looking at your tanks and the amount of enthusiasm that you have for dartfrogs, and amphibians in general.

and ed that is one cool tank i like the openness of it. i really like the what look like climbers on the right.

i was amazed at how hard it was trying to get plants that would be something like the ones from the rainforests. and the plants that i have are really the best that the 5 garden centres i went to have. i was looking at dartfrog.co.uk which look like they have some good plants, but it would prefer to actuallysee them before i buy.

also alan do you find that the substrate you have in most of your tanks (those little clay balls) work well. that look cool and i've read that they can contain up to 30% of their own volume in water or is that something different?

mark jacobs

M

mark

i forgot to say that do you think that the water level is to high?

E

edward

Hi Mark,
All of the plants in that tank started as cuttings. I have had to prune it several times now and have traded cuttings a couple of times.

There are some terraria sites over here (such as www.cloudjungle.com) that will sell cutting packages for a reasonable price. All of the plants in that tank cost less than $70.
I prefer the slightly open look also as it allows me plenty of visual time watching the frogs.

Ed

A

alan

Mark, You don't need that much water for dartfrogs and the depth might make it hard for you to grow plants in the land part. The substrate I use is "Hydroleca", available from garden centres - works very well. If I were you, I would just drop the water level in the tank to 1-2 cm and let lots of plants trail over into the water. Should be fine then.

M

mark

hi i have just reduced it abit . i can't drop it too much as i have a stupidly large pump in the tank that pumps water to the top of the log. i have filled it up with stones and tanken a lot of the water out and it's still pumping. thanks for the help though

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1