Injured or Sick Toad ... Any Ideas?

B

barb

I've got a Southern Toad that is having problems with its back legs. Found it in the yard lying on its back because it could not use its back legs to help it turn over. I've done what examination I can, with the following results: it does have feeling in its feet ... it can draw its legs up toward its body, but can't seem to get them positioned under its body such that it could hop or walk -- the legs are kind of splayed usually, but I can place the legs and feet up in the proper position and they go into this position normally without anything looking odd ... legs don't seem to be broken ... at the very lower end of the toad's belly, there is a light reddish discoloration but this does not seem to be spreading and I am thinking it might be a bruise (the toad might have been stepped on by one of the dogs). The toad is hungry and will eat, is easy to feed so long as what I give it is placed near enough for the toad's tongue to reach, because the toad can't hop or crawl normally to get around. Also, it makes little chirp noises at times when I am handling it, could these be due to pain? Other than feeding it and keeping an eye on it (made up a terrarium for it), the only "treatment" I have felt was safe to try was to soak its lower body for a while in warm water this evening. I thought that might be soothing if the problem is a bruise.

Any ideas appreciated.

Sometimes when toads are handled, they emit sounds similar to the noises you described as a type of defense mechanism. The "bruise" you are describing sounds nearly like red-leg disease.

Barb,
You are very saintly indeed. My daughter, who is a student in your area, rescues box turtles. they are obviously very different animals, but the main thing they seem need to is time, fresh water, food and a clean place to live. It seems to me that if the toad is going to make it, it will have to heal on its own, with you supplying the time (safety) fresh water, food and cleanliness. It does not help that we are in the winter, where the toad would like to be in a nice safe hole, snoozing away. Warm water is bad for bruises in mammals, since the warmth encourages further bleeding. I would leave the soaking alone. Toads don't need much of that. Handling is stressful on the little fellas. Do that as seldom as possible.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back