Found a bunch of these here in Houston

I have found these guys at night hanging out under the eaves of my house.

I was moving some old gardening timbers from the prior owner that we had let go in the back of the yard for several years. After I saw the little guys, I left some debris piled up along the fence for them to hide in. I am going to find some old boards and small logs to leave in out of the way places for them, as well. We also have some concrete debris piled up. I will get some compost to sort of silt it up to hold moisture and to give them some privacy, also. I have a very small water garden in the area, as well but I am going to move it this weekend for a veggie garden to go alongside my bog garden. They will be raised. But this will still leave a relatively undisturbed area about 8' wide along the west part of the back fence line, protected by shrubs.

Sounds great! I'd keep the place moist, and do a compost as you did. Also put lots of plants etc. for cover if you haven't already.

Joseph,
That area of the yard is pretty much left alone and is dominated by a lot of shrubs. We are coordinating with the neighbors to plant a lot butterfly and hummingbird friendly stuff to fill in from the weed trees and debris I just removed. The compost monster is about 3' high and 4' wide and 2' feet deep. So this area will be organic, pretty much left alone and shaded. Along with the veggies, I will be planting fennel, parsley, and rue, all larval food for different swallowtail butterfly species. In the bog area, I will be planting milkweed for monarchs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back