Help Identify & How to Care

C

chris

Can someone help identify this frog. I have two of these and I believe them to be Nyctixalus margaritifer. If so I know absolutely nothing about the caring of these frog, so any information would help. Also where could I possibly purchase more?
Thanks
70040.jpg

(Message edited by chriscarter on September 08, 2006)

Well, it does look like Nyctixalus margaritifer…. but according to Amphibiaweb.org there are fewer than ten specimens known which would make it an unusual species to see in captivity and the possibility of acquiring more probably impossible. Where did you get it? If it is Nyctixalus margaritifer then it comes from montane habitats of Indonesia. I can't help you in terms of care. I’m not sure you’ll find a handy care sheet. Great looking animal - whatever it turns out to be.
Cheers,

I purchased him from a pet store in Florida. All the supplier knew about the frogs are that he purchased them through a breeder in (yep you are correct) Indonesia. I purchased two of these guys and I believe that they are both males because they call to each other. I was hoping to get a female in hopes of breeding them.

Thanks Mark

(Message edited by chriscarter on September 08, 2006)

Weird. I'm betting they needed something to fill an import quota or a box so someone caught these two and stuck them in. Keep your eyes peeled as it might be a sign of more to come.

Ok, I found out that these frogs live in very hight elevated mountain and need very cold temperature at night (around 5 C) and around 25-27 C in the afternoon.

That brings me to my next problem. How to get the vivarium around 40 F. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

Probably something along the lines of an aquarium chiller. Some people run water through an extra fridge(you could even put them in the fridge for the night if they really live that cold). I'm guessing they are from a similar enviroment to some of the highland Nepenthes species.

I think that if they did need those conditions they might be dead already and not be feeding/calling? Not been long, I know, but it is still odd.

Someone in the North would probably find these guys pretty easy to cater to.

hm... just from what I'm reading with this thread, their care sounds similar to frogs of the Costa Rican montane cloud forests like the Atelopus... they look somewhat similar in body type as well.

You have apparently come across something pretty special, it would be interesting to see if more like it appear. How large is this species?

I can only guess you could judge their care along some of the better known montane species of amphibians from the area, or other parts of the world, on species which are more known. Although that information is few and far between. Good luck with your search, and keep us updated on the status of your frogs!

I have been checking into the aquarium chillers and I don't think that any reasonably priced chillers will bring the temperature down to 40 F.

I am actually looking into a glass front "executive beverage cooler." Has anyone ever heard of someone making a vivarium out of a cooler? Good idea / Bad idea?

Chris

Not a bad idea,
I have a friend who actually has overwintered his newts in one -

You just have to be careful to keep an eye on the temperatures if you make a whole vivarium out of it. You may have to find a way to rig up a timer and a thermostat thats connected to the unit to keep it from getting too hot in the day and too cold at night. Say if you just turned it off during the day and on at night... you would need something a little more controlled than that.

It could be a great concept though!

The main problem with these sort of enclosures is that they use fans to circulate the air which causes two issues
1) a uniformity of the temperature
2) a decrease in the humidity.

If you can aquire a large enough one, setting a secondary enclosure up inside of it may be the best answer for the situation (I have an alternate suggestion also) as you can put a heat source to give you the day night drop as well as control humidity and photoperiod.

I have seen the large thermoelectric coolers turned into cold temperature vivaria with good success as you can use a piece of plastic (like plexi) to divide the enclosure preventing the fan on the peltier unit from drying out the inside of the cooler while allowing a chilling effect on the entire enclosure. If you really want to modify the enclosure as these are plastic you can cut the side out and mount a plexi viewing window.

Ed

EWWW not good news...I had one pass away and the second isn't looking too great. They both are starting to get little red, almost soars on their bodies and getting darker in color. Anyone have any suggestions because I am at a loss.

Chris

The soars on his back are definately putting him through some pain...he is rubbing them with his front legs...also he has a lower lip quival before he gasps for air...anyone know how to help this guy?

(Message edited by chriscarter on September 15, 2006)

Hey, let me know what's going on with this guy and how you've had them set up.

I'm actually importing another Nyctixalus sp that aren't montane. Nyctixalus pictus, these should be housed at room temps (below 80 preferred) with plenty of air flow and humidity.

I'm guessing that if you didn't get this guy treated then you probably lost it.

If you didn't lose it, you could get baytril from your vet you can apply it topically to any wounds (you can contact Dr. Frye online and get this) www.fryebrothers.com I think.

They are probably caused from bacterial infections. The frog was either fell ill to the bacterial infection due to temp or air flow.

Hi Chris...just got a couple of these guys too and no one seems to know any info...do you still have the one and/or did you ever find out any more info?? Any help would be great! Thanks!

have you got a pool of water in your tank? if not you should get one. But before you put it in the tank I think you should put some mela fix in it. You should be able to get it from any pet shop. Mela fix is an all natural antibacterial remedy that strengthens their slime coat.

I do have water in there...Mela fix...will look for it, thanks. Can I add after they have been in the water already??

We've discussed melafix quite often on this website. The general consensus is to avoid it. Melafix is a mixture of various chemicals derived from tea trees. They have a general antibiotic effect when used topically, that is just on the surface of the skin. Amphibians have permeable skin so when you use it is brought into the body where it may be toxic. If your frogs are new imports, which they probably are, the stress caused by having these potentially toxic chemicals in their body could be fatal. It is best to avoid melafix.

Don't want to put any unneccessary stress on these guys, nor make them ill. Thank you for the input, I will avoid Melafix. Any suggestions on feeding? I have been trying crickets and wooly worms, but they don't seem to be too excited about either.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back