Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

*sighs* Any ideas as to what might be good?

A

amber

Yes, you're probably getting bored of seeing this, but here it is again.

The ideas I have kicking around so far are:

First, repair the 18" cube viv.

Use the UGF slatted tray to make a slightly raised level, upon which the substrate (coco substrate) will sit.
The raised "floor" will cover just over half, maybe a bit more of the normal floor.

The waterfall will sit on the base floor.

The base floor under the tray will be flooded, just under 2" of water - so that it covers the entire base, and around the waterfall.

Under the raised floor, I will have a little aquarium filter - not only will it "polish" the water, but it will keep it moving, and supply the reservoir for the waterfall - keeping the watersupply and reservoir fresh.
I can easily do water changes then, and I can raise a section of flooring to remove and clean the filter.

(it sounds complicated, but really, it isn't - it's all lift outable for when I need to clean it)

I'll use Sphagnum moss and some nylon mosquito netting to make it climb-uppable to the raised floor, and the moss trails a little in the water.

It won't be a thick thick substrate, but I intend to make lots of hideyholes and levels with bogwood, slate and corkbark, and plants.

I'm also going to pop a foodbowl in to make life easier.

Anyway - I'm trying to look for something a bit unusual, that might enjoy this layout - I want to see if ti works lol, and I have most of the stuff.
I already keep axolotl, and am prepared for any oddities and needs animals might chuck my way.

However, I'm stumped.
Help?

A

andy

Hi Amber, i think i can follow what you'd like to do with this setup. I must say it sounds more like a dart frog tank than anything else. Take a look at the dart frog forums and their vivarium sections.

A

amber

Hmm. I was pondering Bombina Orientalis personally.
However, I will nose about on the dart frogs too...

As you can see, I'm COMPLETELY undecided, so I'm just nosing for ideas.

A

amber

Well, I'm getting the glass replaced shortly, and the cracked corner sealed and strengthened - so I may be able to start before christmas!

I'm pretty decided on the Bombina - with 1.5" of water in the reservoir.

I've got the plates, but I need to seal them together yet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!