Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Strange feeding

T

tom

I have two oriental fire bellied toads which i feed a mixed diet of worms and crickets however one of the toads, the male, never puts on any weight and loses the weight he already has when i feed him crickets but stays perfect, not to thin and not to fat when i feed earth worms. The female shows no problem like this at all. I have had the male 3 years have the problem has only started recently, in the past few months, however i used to feed waxworms and mealworms more than crickets and this problem occured at the same time i changed the diet as i discoverd meal and wax worms weren't good for them to eat to often. can any one help.

T

tom

Also he has become a much more ferocious eater than he used to be since i changed the diet as well.

T

tom

I have now started feeding them midweek so they are fed 3 times a week instead of 2 which is better. I think now he may look thin because i am comparing him to the female who is naturally fatter and also he only looks thin in the water so it may be to do with the way he float or swims but he seems fine now on three time a week feeds.

E

edward

Depending on the temperature at which they are kept, twice a week (which is what I do at work in a temperature controlled room) works well for me but the warmer the temperature, the more often they will need to be fed.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!