Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Relocating Tadpoles

J

jeff

I had to do a bit of rescue work yesterday, I was checking on a population of wood frogs that happen to be living in an overflow at this pond near my house. The concrete standpipe that previously had lots of water and algea and was looking great was reduced to about 4 inches of water and it was nasty, complete with cigerette butts and beer cans. So I had to make the decision to relocate the now morphing tadpoles to the main pond. I didn't want to mess with them but I felt it was better then the alternative to let them dry up in a disgusting pit with no way out, as the entry pipe was 3 feet from the waterline.

I did bring a couple home thinking that there was a pond out directly behind the house that i could put some in, but that was dry too.

This was the one of the adults who laid the eggs
69550.jpg

69551.jpg

I hope I helped, you can never be to sure with us humans...

J

jeff

Whoops! I meant red-legged frog, Rana aurora, that I moved all the tadpoles, pictured here
69556.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!