Tadpole help! (Lengthy)

V

vanessa

Last week my sister and I were in the school's nature reserve (we're in central Arkansas) checking on some studies. We came across a decent sized mud puddle (for lack of a better description) which was teeming with tadpoles, crayfish/crawdads/small shrimp, and salamander larvae. I was informed that I could take a cupful of the critters. I would greatly appreciate any insight as to what can be done to help the tadpoles thrive. All species of animals are separate.
I put about 20 of them in a 10 gallon and started with the water I found them in. I gradually added dechlorinated tap water. The tank is filled about 4 1/2 inches up. There is also a sponge filter in the tank. I am collecting tubs of rainwater right now, but I have no idea how long they will last.
They're at room temp, around the mid to upper 70's. What are the best temps for raising these guys?
Also, I have a new problem. About 4 a day are dying off. They have developed red spots on their tummies. Some seem to have fungus - white spotty stuff on them. Some float at the top, some shoot from the bottom to the top of the tank and fall back down.The tadpoles don't have legs yet, but some are getting quite large.
I found this on a site: "This is the most infamous disease of captive frogs and is caused by the parasite Aeromonas hydrophila. Symptoms include the reddening of the skin, especially on the belly and the underside of the thighs. Infected animals become lethargic and apethetic. Infected animals should be immediately isolated. If caught in the early stages, red-leg may be treated by immersing the infected animal in a 2% solution of copper sulphate or potassium permanganate. The use of an antibiotic such as tetracyclene may also help."
I have no clue where to obtain these chemicals. I have tons of anti-bacterials and anti-fungals, triple-sulfites, etc as I have a ton of fish, but none contain the combination mentioned.
I really want these guys to live so when they become frogs, I can put them back.
I have been told to feed the boiled lettuce. I also have blackworms, but have been told until they develop legs, they won't eat them??
I'm really scared they are all going to die.
Please don't tell me to put it back because I went back a few hours later feeling very guilty and ready to release them and the whole puddle was dried up and everything was dead.
I really appreciate any advice. Thanks so much.

snip "This is the most infamous disease of captive frogs and is caused by the parasite Aeromonas hydrophila. Symptoms include the reddening of the skin, especially on the belly and the underside of the thighs. Infected animals become lethargic and apethetic. Infected animals should be immediately isolated. If caught in the early stages, red-leg may be treated by immersing the infected animal in a 2% solution of copper sulphate or potassium permanganate. The use of an antibiotic such as tetracyclene may also help." endsnip

1) Aeromonas hydrophila is not a parasite but a bacteria
2) red-leg is the description of a bacterial infection that is caused by a number of different bacteria or even combinations of bacteria
3)the suggested treatments are many years out of date and are ineffective in dealing with a systemic bacterial infection. Copper sulphate is very toxic to amphibians. Potassium permanganate is toxic and was used historically (1950s or so) to treat parasite infections in fish.
4) Red leg typically occurs in stressed animals that are being kept in crowded and/or unsanitary conditions. As a first step you need to make sure that you are doing water changes each day as the tank is probably not cycled and the levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are getting high quickly (see http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml) for more information on cycling)
5) Red leg needs an effective antibiotic to treat the animals that are showing symptoms as death can occur within hours of symptoms becoming observable. Over the counter treatments are usually not effective as the bacteria involved are often resistant to these antibiotics due to thier overuse.
6) The amphibians that are showing signs of fungal infections can be treated with salt baths (http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/salt.shtml )

While the common perception is that tadpoles are vegetarian, they will and do readily consume meat. They are properly omnivores and will consume blackworms.

Anything you raise up do not release. While this is a fun and interesting project, it is a vector by which pathogens and other diseases are introduced into the enviroment. This is an issue with several massive die offs of some reptiles and the massive losses of amphibians world wide (Chytrid)..

Ed

Even if it's releasing them to their native habitat?
Thanks for all the info; I really appreciate it. I'm slightly disheartened to find my "research" was nothing but junk, but ultimate thanks for your corrections!
I have been doing partial water changes everyday.
I'll start salt baths on the infected. Or do you think I should treat all of them?

(Message edited by Cornflakegrl on April 20, 2006)

Yes even to their native habitat. The risk of contamination or introduction to their habitat is high if even one piece of equipment has ever been used for any other species (i.e. tanks, nets, gravel, or gravel washers, could be anything) especially if you have kept non native species in the past.

Ok, I didn't mean to sound ignorant. That all makes sense. I did a salt bath, and was very careful with the measurements on the salt, but when I put them in, they all went nuts. I take it that the treatment isn't comfortable - did I possibly burn them?
They don't seem to be eating (blackworms, boiled lettuce, or shrimp pellet mush). Could this be a side effect of the infection or are they just not thriving?
Thanks again.

If the water quality is poor then they may not eat at all. Do you see them attempting to graze on the sides or are they suspending in the water column?
Yes they will not appreciate the salt baths at first but its for thier own good... As an alternative you can add a teaspoon per gallon to help them combat the fungus (this is a common treatment for fish). They could also have gone crazy if the water wasn't matched to be the same with respect to temperature.

Ed

So I can leave the salt in the water?
I've used aquarium salt with my fish before, I'm just never used it with amphibians.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back