Sad Story

K

karen

Not a newt question, but since I respect all my fellow newt enthusiast's opinions here.......

Tonight I went to a petstore (actually 5!) to scope out some new furnishings for my newt's tank and while I was looking around I saw the most sorrowful sight....in a frog tank (some sort of frog native to africa, didn't write down the name), I saw a bunch of frogs but there was this one who was soooo incredibly sickly looking, all skin and bones and just lying there with his eyes half open. He could barely move and is definitely on death's door. It broke my heart and I found myself just staring at him and feeling awful. I'm sure he's not getting the help or love he needs and I was very tempted to purchase him, even if only to make his last days more comfortable. My question is, should i go back and buy him? I know it sound stupid to actually ask for an almost dead animal, but he's only $10 and it's a shame how he's being neglected. I have a small 2.5 or 5 gallon tank that was my newts' first home, and I have alot of the things I would need to keep him (gravel, rocks, plants etc). Should I just let things be or try to nurse him back to health? Thanks for any insights.

Thats upto you! My wife is the type of person that would feel the way you do, but it will probably die by the sounds of things its gone too far! But if you want to go on your rescue mission just make sure you know how to look after him! Put a post on here and let us know what you decide to do. Take care

Thats always and extremely depressing sight. Unfortunately, it sounds like there is little hope. When amphibians or reptiles get that far gone, they just don't eat or get better. You could maybe try force feeding it or giving it some sort of vitamin injections, but from the sound of it, its too late. Alex.

Look at it from the perspective of the shop keeper... if you hand over cash for a half starved, sick animal the vendor will certainly order more. If he can sell animals in that state it's got to be worth it. You can have much more of an impact by NOT buying the frog and telling the shop keeper what you really think of the animals in his care...

Thanks everyone....I haven't quite made up my mind yet although I took a trip to the pet store today to see how he was doing. He was in the water, not looking quite as horrific as yesterday, but still not looking well compared to his tank mates. The fellow in question is called a Moroccan Green Toad (bufo viridis). Before I make any decisions, I'm trying to find info on this type of toad to make sure I can care for it properly. It seems to be hard to find any care sheets and I certainly wouldn't trust the people at the petstore. Does anyone have any info (or sites I can go to) on this toad? Are they hard to take care of? What are their needs? Any information (or push in the right direction) would be appreciated.

I'll tell you do not buy it, they will order more in and treat it just as bad if not worse. It's called the pity sale and that's how a lot of pet shops get buisiness.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back