Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New frog species discovered

E

elisabeth

Wow, that's crazy! How much do you think it's gonna go for on kingsnake.com???
happy.gif

Yeah, that was a cheap shot, I know.
Still, that's a really amazing find. It kinda almost looks like one of those softshell turtles with the funny snouts.

C

coen

Yeah it's a pretty unique one!

(Message edited by Ed on February 18, 2006)

K

kaysie

dont see too many purple animals around. thats pretty unique. i dont think i like the pin-head look though

C

chris

Has anybody here got the name of this frog, or the new family it has been placed in? Any additional information be be welcome. Thanks, Chris

U

upstatenyherper

Its not new at all. From what I have read its just been MIA since the 1920's.

A

alan

Amphibia L., 1758
Lissamphibia Haeckel, 1866
Anura Rafinesque, 1815
Neobatrachia Reig, 1958
Nasikabatrachidae fam. nov.
Nasikabatrachus gen. nov.
Nasikabatrachus sahyadrensis gen. et sp. nov.

A

aaron

wow that is a COOL frog... i dig the snout looks almost like some kind of mole or something... very cool find or refind or whatever

A

aki

Alan: In a case like this, it would be wise choice to do to mentioning of the references for your direct referrings. For the information of others, above represented phylogenetic tree is originally published from Nature: Biju, S.D. & Bossuyt, F., 2003. New frog family from India reveals an ancient biogeographical link with the Sheychelles. Nature, Vol. 425:711-714.

For the information of Duo and Elisabeth, I doubt that as a herpetocultural species, this species would never be a member of that group, since it is already under great threat in its natural surroundings (see e.g. Aggalwal, R.K., 2004. Ancient frog could... Nature, Vol. 428:467). Unfortunately, that is the situation right now...

However, it is still very fascinating and interesting species of Anura, indeed.

E

edward

Marie,

Is this your picture? If not it needs to be removed. You can post a link to the picture but to post the picture itself is a violation of the copyright agreements.

Ed

M

marie-sophie

But so, why there is another picture posted above, which comes from a website ?

M

marie-sophie

It's not the Member's Photo Gallery, and another pic was also published without problem, took from the information website, so why this one is a violation ?

E

edward

Simply because I missed the other picture as it was posted in 2003 before I was a moderator....

Ed

(Message edited by Ed on February 18, 2006)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1