Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New frog species?

A

alex

A new species of frog has been discovered whose ancestors hopped around the feet of the dinosaurs.

Scientists have described the bright purple burrowing frog, resembling a fat plum with a white snout, as a "living fossil".

It was found in the Western Ghats hills of Kerala, southern India, a region known to be a "hotspot" of biodiversity.

DNA analysis showed that the amphibian, Nasikabatrachus sahyadrensis, belonged not only to a previously unknown species but a whole new family of frogs.

A total of 29 frog families are known, encompassing more than 4,800 species.

The nearest living relatives of N. sahyadrensis are the sooglossids, a small group of frogs found only in the Seychelles in the Indian Ocean. Both have roots stretching back to the Cretaceous period, when dinosaurs such as Tyrannosaurus rex walked the Earth.

The frog was described in the journal Nature today by researchers Franky Bossuyt and SD Biju, from the Free University of Brussels in Belgium.

They wrote: "Our discovery discloses a lineage that may have been more diverse on Indo-Madagascar in the Cretaceous period, but now only comprises four species on the Seychelles and a sole survivor in India."
13833.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1