Melanophryniscus stelzneri

andrew

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Andy Baker
Hi all,

I’ve been trying to find out as much as possible about Melanophryniscus stelzneri, otherwise known as the bumble bee walking toad or pampas toad. it’s a little guy, mostly black with yellow spots and red feet. I bought one of these guys at a local pet shop a few years ago. Unfortunately it was sick and was dead by the next morning.
Does anyone keep these guys? Has anyone ever kept them? If so, can you tell me everything about them, are they nocturnal, diurnal, like it dry or wet, what they can eat, and most importantly, where did you get them. I haven’t seen these guys in three year’s.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Hi Andrew,
I keep and breed them. They are active in the day. They will eat termites, fruit flies, pinhead crickets; ie. anything that moves and that they can stuff in their mouths. They are tough little amphibians and can handle both dry and wet conditions. However if kept to dry they aren't very active. Probably a little drier than most poison frogs are kept is best. WC's were avalible about this time last year and may or may not be offered for sale this year. Watch the dealers lists. CB froglets are not widely offered and I probably will not be offering any till sometime this fall.

Seth

How are the ones from last years breeding doing Seth?
Slow growing?

Alan,
The ones I saved are doing fine. Not to slow growing, some of the males are calling but I think they are to small to breed now. I probably will give it a try in 3-4 months.

Im sorry for the ignorance, but what do you mean by WC's and CB's?
Plus, thanks for the great info. I Hope i do find some this year.

Ohhh, well that makes sense! Thanks.
blush.gif

Listen, where are you located? If you are successfull with CB's let me know. Keep me in mind. I'm very interested in obtaining some of these little guys. If you are close to NYC, you might be my last hope. Besides I would much rather get some CB's than WC's.
My e-mail is Tindomul1of9@yahoo.com

Andrew,
I am hardly close to NYC. I am about 40 miles out of Houston TX. Shipping would be the only way to go. I probably will have some for sale this fall but not much before then.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back