What could these be?

S

stipe

Hey guys, i found i spawn of eggs in a ponds where i knew they wouldnt survive, so i took them in. I live in Australia, nsw, sydney to be exact. I raised these little eggs into morphs, when they where tads, they where completly brown, now when they morphed they have spots on thier back but some have dsifferent markings to others, only 4 have morphed so far. Im thinking that they are either the barking marsh frog (limnodynastes fletcheri) or the spotted marsh frog (limnodynastes tasmaniensis). Im not 100% sure so a little help would be appriciated.

51781.jpg

51782.jpg

51783.jpg

51784.jpg

51785.jpg

Hi Stipe,

It should be Limnodynastes tasmaniensis and I am sure that it certainly would be correct answer. Those two above mentioned species are really difficult to distinguish and can be easily confused with each other. The unique calls of the species is widely accepted to be best and, most of the cases, perhaps only really reliable way for proper identification. However, your detailed description concerning about the collecting location of tadpoles, made it quite easy to be even more convinced about the right species, since Limnodynastes fletcheri should not regularly and officially be found in Sydney or immediate surroundings of Sydney. In fact, there is few separate locations of L. fletcheri rather near of Sydney, but not in Sydney. Moreover, Limnodynastes tasmaniensis is maybe one of the most common frogs in the area.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back