Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Am i doing this right?

S

stipe

I was just out at my ucles farm and noticed some tadpoles in his dam. Having taken some of these tadpoles ages ago i knew wat i was up against. I took 15 tadpoles and put them in a glass jar about 15cm by 20cm. The tadpoles are jjust newborns only about 1cm from tip to tal (even smaller). The frog itself grows up to 3-5cm max. Its brown in colour and hints of black. Wat frog is this?. Oh by the was i live in Australia in nsw around sydney
happy.gif

Oh ye am i doing the glass jar thing right? 15 of them in that jar with fresh water from my tap and added decloranator. I also added plant scraps from my axolotl tank. Do i need an air stone? I've never used one befor. And finaly What do i feed them. Depending on the live food i may not be able to do that but is fish flakes ok?

E

edward

Hi Stipe,
Depending on the species of anuran there are a lot of different methods to rear tadpoles and you need to know what lifestyle the tadpoles need (for example in open water species there can be filter feeding, carnivorous, omniverous, and grazing life styles). I hope you are planning on keeping the resulting frogs and not releasing them due to the amount of issues Australia is having with chytrid.

Ed

S

stipe

I am sure i have marsh frogs. I think its the striped marsh frog but it could be the spotted. Marsh frogs are Omniverous, right? I feed mine boiled letuc and they seem to eat it fine
happy.gif
. I know abit about the life style of the marsh frog. And i know thier tadpoles are used to harsh water conditions living here in aus.

No i am planning on keeping te frogs. Im making a perspex tank and going to start making it later. How long to tadpoles take to metamorph, 6-9 weeks? Anyway to i need to like let it cycle or sumthing??? Or anything else.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1