Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Letting frog go??

T

tanya

I was wondering if it would hurt my frog to let him go now that I have had him for about a week? It is getting colder here (about -4c) and I dont know if the frog needs to find a spot for hibernating. I want to let him go because he is with 4 salamanders and I dont think they are eating. Should I find another tank for him and let him go after winter?

andrew

Reaction score
Let him go now, a week isnt that big a difference, Im sure the frog is ready to hibernate anyway (maybe thats why hes not eating).

T

tanya

The frog is eating lots. He loves flies. but the salamanders dont seem to be eating from what I can see. It is hard to tell if the salamanders are eating but the food disapears when I put it in the tank. }

E

edward

The recommendation is that once a herp has been brought into captivity it is not to be released back into the wild. This is even more important if there is any risk of cross contamination (if you have any species not native to the same local that the animal came from) as this creates a risk of pathogen introduction.

Ed

T

tanya

The salamanders and the frog were found in the same spot under my house so im not to worried about cross contamination. What Im worried about is it not having enough time to find warmth for the winter since it has gotten colder since I brought it in the house. I will probably release him today close to the house where it is warmer.

E

edward

You may need to check your state laws about turning animals loose. In many states unless you are a licensed rehabber you cannot return animals to the wild.
If you have any other nonnative wildlife in the house (including tropical fish) the risk of an introduced pathogen becomes much higer

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1