Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What should i do?

S

sarah

I am currently raising some tadpoles of common frogs and toads, they are now morphing, what should i feed them at this stage?
What i mean is as tadpoles i fed them fish flakes which they lve and thrive on, but now their mouths are changing shape and soon they will no longer be able to suck, so what can i feed them when they are still in the water but are half morphed? should i hand feed them? they don't catch prey under water so what shall i do?

Sarah

C

christopher

I dont know!!!!! why dont you ask mark or Jennifer Macke!!!!!!

J

joseph

They don't feed at this stage so don't offer anything until they get out of the water.

E

edward

Joseph is correct. Start offering live insects to them when the tail has been totally absorbed. Depending on thier size, you may want to try flightless fruitflies or small crickets. Don't forget you will need to use a vitamin/mineral supplement.

Ed

S

sarah

Ok thank you, i now have 1 froglet and one 'toadlet' lol they are coming out of the water but still have a full tail, really cute!
proud.gif

R

reid

Frog and tadpole pellets are good because both frogs and tadpoles eat them.

E

edward

Typically only frogs like Xenopus will consume pellets as most species (other than the exceptions like Xenopus, and Pipa,) do not recognize them as a food item.
The frogs and toads in question would not eat pellets as a starter food as they will not recognize them.

Also Reid, please look at the last posted date in a thred, you are responding to a post from May...

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!