Giant tadpole

C

chris

I found a rana temporaria tadpole in my dapnia culture yesterday. It must have been feasting on all the algae and without predators it has grown to 2.5 inches long! It has taken on a greeny colouration instead of the usual black and shows no sign of metamorphosis! Pretty cool.
Chris

that is a common bullfrog, it will get a little bigger than begin to morph. goodluck

We don't have any native bullfrogs in Britain. Chris Michaels is talking about the Common European Brown Frog, not a bullfrog.

There is a colony of bullfrogs on the Kent/Sussex border so there is a slim possibility it may be a bullfrog although having never seen a bullfrog tadpole, i can't really say

i dont know if there are any bull frogs in aus but i found a big tadpole in a pond on an duke of ed expedition and as one of the observation skills i took it in a container for a bit (sorry no pic), it was brown mesured 9cm from tip to tail with a body width of 3.5cm, it was extreemly larg, to large if you tell me, any guess of what this might of been? Mabey it was the rainforest that made it grow so big. btw we found it in a rock pond, here in nsw.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back