Any toad breeders?

A

a

Im just wondering if theres any people who have succeeded in breeding any bufos in captivity?
I came close to breeding rococo toads, but they didnt get any further than amplexus. i'd like to try again, or try with my black spines, but need to get a large enough aquarium for them.

AJfr0ggy

In the UK Bufo viridis, calamita, and raddei are "bred" on a fairly regular basis, when kept in outdoor enclosures (greenhouses) all year round.
The beautiful Moroccan Brongersma's, or Anti-Atlas Toad (Bufo brongersmai), is the only species, as far as I know that can be easily "conditioned" in a vivarium, and bred annually.
See Serge' Bogearts excellent article at http://podarcis.nl/

Mike, i was actually reading that article yesterday!
I would like to try breeding my rococos, does anyone have an idea what sort of water space i would need for them. The biggest female is 6".
Ive read that black spine toads often breed in cities, hopefully that might make it easier for me to breed.
Mike, do you know any breeders?

thanks

AJfr0ggy

Where is that article on the site?
Aj - let me know if they breed.
Chris

You have to sign in first, and it is a bit annoying, as it kept saying that this page cannot be found ect, but it worked eventually.
once youve signed in, heres the link to the actual pdf. article.
http://www.podarcis.nl/downloads/2001/3/eng/Bufobrongersmai.pdf

Ill defiantly let you know if i have any success chris, but i am doubting it

Does anyone have any info on the breeding habits of the rococo toad in the wild, i.e breeding pool size, vegetation, climate.

thanks

AJfr0ggy

Several Zoos regularly breed and then release the tadpoles for Puerto Rican Crested Toads and Wyoming Toads are bred in Zoos as well as by the Federal Goverment to keep the species from going extinct.
As the genus Bufo has such a wide range, most people give the animals as close to the same seasonal variation as they would be exposed to in nature.

Ed

I heard though that a lot of programs for endangered Bufo use hormones as well just to be safe. At least I had been told that for the Yosemite Toad.

Someone did tell me it was easier for species that do not have a lot of site fidelity and long migrations, but that might have just been here say.

Hi Brian,
Hormonal use is usually only used if the animals will not respond to the cycling or if a genetically valuable animals will not breed.

For example the current Bufo baxteri reproductions usually go just fine without the hormal inducements. Some Zoos have even had them breed without a hibernation period.
Haven't had to mess with Yosemite Toads so I don't have a copy of the program goals to refer to, to check the hormal incidence.
Ed

Here's a good link on breeding various Bufos, including melanostictus. http://bufo.de.vu/
AJfrOggy.......I only know breeders of European Bufo.
Mike.

Thanks for the link Mike - great site!
I am fascinated by the "free walk" concept - this is going to take some thinking about.
Any ideas how I can persuade the s.o. to let me spread bark mulch over the carpet for a week or so after hibernation?

Thats a great site, probably the best bufo one ive seen. i was thinking of making my own in the future. There was not much info on tropical species. I may try and breed mine sometime soon.

thanks

AJfr0ggy

Alan.......innes has the answer, that's a Bufo doing gymnastics, if i'm not mistaken.

Aj....I came across some notes on B. melanostistus in an old book "Amphibians" by J.F.D. Frazer. 1973. He was President of the British Herpetological Society for many years.
"Most amphibians are in breeding condition when they enter the water at the spawn site, but the Asiatic toad B. melanostistus , does so during rain, whether or not it is ready to breed, and in fact only some do spawn on each occasion. thus the whole population has a breeding season which covers the year, although each individual in it is restricted to a short period.
The American herpetologist G. Church has even noticed that more females of the toad, produce eggs around the time of the full moon than at other times."

Mike, that is interesting...

That would probably make captive breeding quite difficult, unless they perminantly live with a large water area

I suppose you could try putting your toads in a rain chamber on a regular basis. You might just catch them when they are in the mood.
love.gif

I would think that your B.paracnemis would breed under similar conditions to B.marinus & B.blombergi which have been bred a few times in captivity although hormones were probably used to induce breeding.

I will be having another breeding attempt with the paracnemis soon, since some of the males have been in the right sort of mood recently

If i were to use hormones, are there any ways which avoids using several injections?

thanks

AJfr0ggy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back