Bufo japonicus formosus (2004)

TJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
12927.jpg

Extremely rapid development in the larvae I brought home to raise. They're already swimming around 2 days after the above pics were taken! Anybody happen to know at what point they need to be fed...and what to feed them?

13005.jpg

Feed them tropical fish flakes (Tetramin), bruised lettuce, and occasionally chopped bloodworm. At 25.C they should morph within 30-35 days, if they are not over-crowded.

Thanks Mike, I'll do that. I was also thinking of feeding them those pleco food tablets that sink. From the look of the pics above though, how long until they need food?

It seems they're already overcrowded. But the pond they're from is only 5 minutes walk from my house so it's easy enough to set some free. I'll probably keep tadpoles until just before they morph. The last thing I need is dozens of toads on my hands!

As soon as the tads become free swimming Tim. They will have absorbed their yolks, and are then in feeding "mode".

Wow, what a difference a day makes
biggrin.gif
Yesterday most were on the bottom and merely wiggling a bit, today they're all swimming vigorously all over the tank. I feeding them both Tetramin flakes and Hikari Crest pleco tablets
frog.gif

13045.jpg

They're morphing now and about 20 have taken to land. Beautiful little things. They're due for release at the pond this weekend, though I might hang on to just a few of the 80 or so I have for a couple more weeks. I would have expected higher mortality bit I only lost 4-5 tadpoles in all.

This almost looks like a little molded iron statue:

14106.jpg

I regret not photographing them much during their tadpole stage but the plastic aquarium they're in is so scratched that it's near impossible to get a decent shot.

14109.jpg

So will they still eat Tetramin and pleco tablets from the water at this stage or do I have to quickly switch them to crickets to prevent them from starving? I still have two days to go before I'll have time to release them.

They won't eat at all until some days after the tail has been completely reabsorbed, but yes, in general they will need small terrestrial foods in fairly constant supply. Springtails, Drosophila and pinhead crickets are all good. You may or may not be able to get newly morphed ones to take small worms such as whiteworms - sometimes they take a bit of time to start on these.

Thanks a lot for that info Alan. I have plenty of pinheads available for the few I intend to hang onto for the next week or so.

Tim, do you know what kind these frogs are? How big are they now?? They look similar to the ones I have which are bird voiced tree frogs.

Meghan, I'm told the species is Eastern Japanese Common Toad (Bufo japonicus formosus). I released them as soon as they morphed and haven't been back to the pond since (I live in Tokyo
wink.gif
)

You missed out, Tim. I'm getting quite attached to my little toad.
love.gif

Nah, I gotta draw the line somewhere. I'd get into fire salamanders before I'd break out of caudates and into anurans. But it's nice to hear that you and your toad are bonding. Don't be kissing it now! It just might turn into a prince...
lol.gif

(Message edited by TJ on May 18, 2004)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back