Killing toads on the road

J

juraj

Yesterday night when I was driving it was was warm and wet just after rain and hundreds Bufo viridis went out from their burrows. The road was full of them. I had to brake and stop the car every moment and put them off but I couldn`t avoid to run some over. I`m so sorry because I love these creatures
sad.gif
. And what about you folks ? Do you kill toads by car ?

I don't. One night I even slammed on my brakes for a vole (That's a rodent, resembling a long mouse). Maybe you should contact local government. Quite a few places (illinois, california, and pennsylvania come to mind) close down roads during breeding season of amphibs.

Hi Juraj,
I have been caught in treefrog swarms where I suspect I ran over a few as there were what appeared to be hundreds crossing the roads.
When roadcruising on roads that are just wide enough for one car, I've also had kamikaze anurans literally jump under the car tire unseen, making their suicide known with a popping sound. If I have time, I try to stop or avoid the animals but sometimes it is impossible.

Ed

In the uk, there are lots of 'toad crossings' where people help out with the masses of bufo bufo moving to their breeding area.

AJfr0ggy

Hi Juraj,
I think you sould tell the group/people in your area that help animals like that and maybe they would close the road during breeding seasons.
-Summer

EWWW ED!!! "Popping sound" What a way to go!!
Glad I'm not the only one who brakes for frogs, toads, and even wooly bear caterpillars.

Meghan, I thought I was the only one who narrowly avoided serious accidents caused by wooly bear crossings.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back