Bufo viridis breeding tips needed

morg

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Morg
Has anybody bred this species of toad inside, or is it only possible in a greenhouse amphibiary?
If anybody has managed indoors,I would be glad if you could share your methods.

There's an account of breeding B.viridis on http://bufo.de.vu/
Seems the greenhouse route is far simpler.
happy.gif

Thanks Mike.
Wish I had room for a greenhouse, but my tiny garden has no more space.

I am having breeding activity with one of my males [again], but the females are not interested.

He sits in the water bowl and pounces on any female that comes close.

did you hibernate the females, Morg? Do they kick him off?

No none were hibernated, but went through the normal photoperiod for the winter months, along with a slight drop in temperature.

I was not interested in breeding these toads, but this males obvious interest in breeding had me wondering how to go about it for possible breeding next spring.

The females do try to remove him, yes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back