Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bloated tree frog

C

chris

hi every one, I just recently found a bloated green tree frog in my rainforest enclosure and was wondering what to do with it?.....This morning when I took it out of the tank it seemed lifeless and weak......When I picked it up it was bulging and i was wondering what could have caused this and how would I take care of this??? need info.....help....
sad.gif

E

edward

Typically this is caused by a number of items including unclean cage conditons, liver failure, and bacterial infections. It needs to go to a vet for treatment.

Ed

(Message edited by ed on June 06, 2006)

C

chris

yes,I have taken my tree frog to the vet yesterday and she said that it was from using tap water......she said that the tap water has chemicals in it which evaporate in the frog causing it to bloat.....she said that she would take care of him for the rest of the day and give him treatments...I have to pick him up later today......and I'M thinking that it will cost me a pretty penny...$...

C

chris

Well Chris, it sounds like your frog has/had redleg. Basically it is caused from stress (the chlorinated water). Your vet probably gave you some tetracycline for it. Hopefully it worked out for the best because redleg is fatal.

Chris

E

edward

Chris,
If the frog had retained fluids from the water then this is not redleg and in any case tetracyline has not been the drug of choice for the treatment of "red leg" (septicemia) for a awhile now ("red leg" is also a symptom that many people confuse with a disease as opposed to a symptom of many potential diseases/issues including but not limited to trauma, septicemia, protozoal infection, and fungal infections).

Ed

(Message edited by Ed on September 09, 2006)

C

chris

Thanks for the correction ed...learn something new everyday.
happy.gif
Just wondering, what do you use for redleg?

(Message edited by chriscarter on September 09, 2006)

(Message edited by chriscarter on September 09, 2006)

E

edward

Red leg is a symptom, so you have to figure out what it showing you. Often, the bacterial infection that causes what was classically called "red leg", may be caused by more than 20 bacterial agents and frequently doesn't even present with the classic symptoms of hemorraging on the ventral surface around the legs,). Now a vet may prescribe an antibiotic while conducting tests to determine the actual disease as some of the septicemias can proceed to death of the amphibian within hours of presentation of the symptoms.

The vets I work with have used a number of injectable antibiotics with great results. They are using some of the newer latest generation antibiotics with great effect. The drugs used have been combination such as amakacin and pipercillian or some of the newer ones (which I can't remember off the top of my head) but pretty much if your buying it over the counter, you are very unlikely to be making a difference and can potentially harming the animal.

Some more comments,

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!