Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Any one around to answer a question about a Treefrog?

J

jeff

Hey everyone, I useally dwell withen the newt section, but I found a pacific tree frog on the steps of my house, and I have been trying to see one for about a year. Last year there were thousands of babies all over this pond near my house and this year I saw none untill now. Do they skip breeding seasons? Anyway, I was wondering what is the prefered food to feed him/her? Crickets? how about bloodworms, I have lots of those and earthworms. I have only kept firebellies before so I am a little in the dark. Any help would be great. Thanks!

M

mario

hey jeff about a year ago i had a green tree frog correct me if im mistaken they are both from the hyla family. any way my frog wouldn't take blood worms, it only ate crickets and meal worms . i tried to change its diet but it wouldnt take any other worm if it wasnt a mealworm. ok i hope my information is helpful

M

mark

You'll need a tall, arboreal set-up with sturdy branches for climbing, some leaf cover (plastic ones are fine), a small water bowl and I usually have a substrate to keep the humidity high - something like bark chippings is good. Mist the tank occasionally.

You should feed gut loaded crickets, flies, moths, waxworms and any suitably sized insect. Mealworms don't climb too well so unless the frog comes down to the ground to feed... Hylids are often bold enough to have a go at anything that moves so you may have success holding small worms/grubs in front of it with tweezers.

Good luck!

mike

Reaction score
Hi All,

Mark gave some good advice, and it is right about the gut-loaded crickets. They will do very well on that diet. However, Pacific treefrogs aren't very arboreal. So if you are going to keep it, you'd do better to give it some more terrestrial space rather than a tall aquarium. Be sure to have some substrate and a house for it to hide in. You may be a bit disappointed, as many pacific treefrogs will stay hidden much of the day. However, if it is treated well, it may easily live 3 or more years.

About the fact that you saw thousands last year, and few this year: It may be that the larval environment was particularly harsh this year (e.g. because of a high predator density), and so very few frogs survived to metamorphosis. At low elevations, pacific treefrogs mature and breed in one year.

Pseudacris regilla are one of my favorite amphibians. I have a little website about them if you are interested:

http://www.mister-toad.com/photos/frog/hylaregilla.html

best,

Mike

Hylaregillaperching.jpg

AmplexingHylaregilla02.jpg

Hylaregillametamorph01.jpg

BeetleEatTadpole.jpg

M

mark

Thanks for the correction on housing requirements Mike. My experience of both European and American hylids led me to falsely assume they would be as arboreal as other species such as h.cinerea and h.arborea. Those are some great photos. I especially like the gruesome finale! That’s a diving beetle larvae isn’t it?

Jeff, I’ve never had a problem with moths. I believe they are very nutritious, powdery wings an all.

J

jeff

that is a dragonfly nymph I think... Yeah all me reading has sugested that allthough they are treefrogs then tend to prefere living on the ground. Thanks for everyone's input, This guy(or girl) is really cute and seems to be happy even in the temporary setup. I need to get my cricket food back from my ex-girl asap, It works really well.

mike

Reaction score
Hi Mark, thanks for the compliments on the photos. You are right, it is a big predaceous diving beetle larvae (Dytiscidae: Dytiscus sp).
Mike

J

jeff

I stand corrected on the beatle larvae. How long can do the tree frogs go between feeding? I have yet to get the little one some really small crickets and the gut-loading stuff which I left in bellingham. Hate to buy more of that. I supose I can start with just plain crickets in the mean time, How about earthworms?

simon

Reaction score
I have 2 Pacifics in a terrarium with a green tree frog, and if you feed them earthworms I doubt they'll eat them crickets are really really good. I feed mine 20-40 small-medium crickets once every 5 days.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1