Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Larger greens w/ smaller greens

B

brian

i have 1 green about 2 1/2" and was thinking about getting him some friends. my local pet store has 3 larger greens about 3 times his size. would it be o.k. to keep them together

C

christopher

I would say that that is not a very bright idea because frogs these days aint so friendly if you know what I mean especially when the other green's are 3x the size of the ones you have know.......its always best to keep frogs in the tank with the similar species and similar size...good luck

B

brian

thanks for the advice. thats what i figured, just wanted to verify

E

edward

male H.cinerea can be that much smaller than the females, so it isn't unheard of to keep smaller males with the females. Check out the size of the H. cinera's head to determine the gape size of the frog and see if it looks like they can swallow the smaller one before placing them together.

Ed

M

mark

Definitely not. Tomato frogs have different habitat needs, get large enough to eat green treefrogs and have a toxin in their skin that could kill the treefrogs. It is usually best to stick to only one species per cage.

E

edward

as far as I know the toxin in a tomato frog's skin functions like a latex glue and causes the predator's mouth to become clogged as well as causing it to get stuck to leaves and other items on the ground preventing the predator from consuming the frog. Not all anurans secrete what are considered to be typical skin toxins however, a green tree frog is not an acceptable cage mate for a green tree frog due to other issues.

Ed

(Message edited by ed on June 06, 2006)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!