RETF EGGS!

P

paris

i was very disappointed at IAD that no one but sandfire carried RETF's, i went there looking to get a female for my randy calling males. the ones that were there were smaller than 1/2" and so wouldnt help me much....I told Ken from IAD i was disappointed and he brought me an adult he had spare the next day. its plump but not as big as i would expect for a female. he wasnt sure of the gender but said it had never called. the day i got it home one male got it into amplexus, i thought it may just be a really randy male and the new one was tired of fighting it off. when i tried to get photos they broke apart when i opened the lid-this was back on may 9th.
i have been hearing a bit more calling lately but i thought it was due to open windows and high day temps with low night temps....but when i woke up this AM i saw this
65952.jpg

65953.jpg

65954.jpg

right now there are 2 egg masses, the one pictured and a small one in the back also on the glass. they look as if there is more to come.

congratulations paris!
do you think being without females for a while might have helped getting them friskier?

i was always told that you have to have a high male ratio-it seems calling and fighting over a female keeps them both 'happy' and seems to stimulate them

In nature there always seems to be more male than female anurans. One of the few exceptions would be Dendrobatids. I usually do a 3-1 ratio of males to females when I breed RETFs that way the most dominate male breeds with the female and in theory stronger froglets.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back