Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help I have a sick Whites

D

donna

Hi All,
I need some help! I have 2 White treefrogs they are roughly 9 years old. I have had them since they were the size of a penny. My male is sick. He isn't eating and is shrinking in size the female fill my palm and he is now half her size if not smaller. He has lost his slimey coat and is dry all the time despite regular misting and a constant clean water supply. The inside of his mouth is extremely pale. I have tried all sorts of different food, cricket,waxworms locusts and wax worms but he refuses everything. I have now resorted to hydrolife and force feeding which I hate doing as it stresses him. Does anyone know if this could be due to old age or is it far more likely he is ill. I can't speak to my vet till Tuesday.The tank temp is about 25 degrees and he is very dark green/almost black. Any suggestions will be gratefully received

E

edward

Longevity for these species is about 20 years so I have doubts that this is the problem (see www.pondturtle.com and the longevity link).

The symptoms are too vague for any real guesses.

Ed

D

donna

Hi Ed,
Thanks for the interesting link. Unfortunately my poor little man died overnight. I couldn't give any more detail than I did apart from to say his underside was normal in colour and there were no external signs of injury or infection and my female is perfectly normal, and healthy eating voraciously as she always does. If she shows any signs of stopping I will be able to see my vet this week. Thanks for taking time to reply

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1