Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hyla chrysoscelis aka Cope's gray treefrog need help

W

wolfie

Hi we have been raising tadpoles that we found in our pond one has finally changed and weve finally found out their Cope's gray treefrogs i was wondering if someone could point me in the correct direction for help on raising them like terrarium conditions food etc the faster the response the better because one completely metamorphosised(??new word maybe??) today so im sure he will need food fast.
Thanks for your time
Wolfie
s.radley at comcast dot net

E

edward

They are pretty easy to rear provided you ahve a lot of small live food handy. They will take pinhead crickets and fruit flies. Normally it takes a couple of days post metamorphosis to start feeding.
As they are a tree frog they will want to hide and will need a fair number of arboreal sections to hide in/around.

This should help you get started wuth them.

Ed

W

wolfie

Thanks for the info its highly appreciated. hrmm i forgot all about pin heads :p this one the meta'd is roughly half inch in size so cute! do you think a 10 gallon setup would be sufficient or should i brake out the 20 or 30 gal? i have the basic ideas and principles to follow for tank setup just not sure the size. at first we thaught they were just toads or or green frogs as we have alot of them around as well. for the winter months we moved most of our pond plants to a small "kiddie" pool and setup a heater system to keep em from freezing over the winter and early spring/summer we found it loaded with eggs
happy.gif
and keep finding it loaded lol so weve always got new batches of tadpoles and about a month ago we netter out about 4-5 and been keeping them in a small tank theyve been doing real well now their all starting to form their hind legs and the one already morphed
happy.gif
im starting to wonder tho as 2 of the tadpoles differ slightly from the others so i may have both gray trees and another species morphing
happy.gif
enough of my rambling
happy.gif

thank you kindly for the help ed
Wolfie

E

edward

A smaller tank is better for smaller frogs as it keeps them closer to the food and makes it a lot easier to keep track of the frogs.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!