Need help with my red eye tree frog

C

cecilia

hey guys my red eyed tree frog hasnt been eating since i got him like 3 days ago, do you think its post traumatic stress? hes not in with anyone else, but im thinking of getting him a companion, another red eyed tree frog. the humidity levels are fine, and the temperature is at 75 farenheit. how can i get him to eat? what do you think is wrong with him?

First, do you know RETFs are VERY nocturnal and hunt for food primarily at night? They will rarely, if ever, eat during daylight hours. Also, it's not rare for newly aquired animals to fast until they're comfortable in their new environment. Give him some time, and place only a few number of prey items in the set-up in order to count the next day to see if he did indeed eat or not. Good Luck!
wink.gif

Hi Jeff,
RETFs will acclimate with time and forage if the cage is disturbed.

Try placing the food items in a large bowl that the crickets cannot climb out of. The frog will catch the insects at night.

Ed

i do realize that they are nocturnal but its been 4 days now and he still hasnt ate the one from the first night, its still alive and in his food bowl...he still seems active and i havent been disturbing him except to check the temp once a day, and i dont even wake him when i do so...

Just give it some time. It can take up to 2 weeks sometimes for a newly aquired frog to eat. They need to get confortable. Usually in about a week they start to eat. What are your temps day and night. What are you feeding it? Crickets? What size crickets? How big is your frog? Small crickets should be appropriate. Do you have a water dish for it to soak in at night? Has the frog chirped at night at all? Chirping is a good sign of a happy frog. Unless it is a female, than it wont chirp.

the frog is only apx 3cm long right now and im feeding it the smallest crickets i can find these crickets are apx a week old, the nighttime temps are at 75 f and daytime its around 80 f the humidity is pretty high, but not too terribly high, and on the other side of the cage the temperatures are 5 degrees lower

and no it doesnt chirp yet and it does have a water bowl...it probably is a female, and his/her colors are still good..hes a bright green, and his skin doesnt have any irregularities

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back