Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

EGGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M

matthew

I've just had a very pleasant surprise while doing the rounds at my "zoo" - my Hyla arborea have laid eggs. (I have a big frog collection now but have never had any treefrog species spawn.)

I had one group of these cracking little frogs in a tank which was itself slightly warmed inside a viv. I moved the frogs into another tank, out of the viv, and placed it in a different room. I have set up a more elaborate structure of branches which they are all over. There was actually a drop of a few degrees C, BUT I think they have received a lot more natural (yet indirect) light.

The only downer is they have laid in sodden moss, so I am about to move it. It looks like one of those mantella pictures of egg clumps in the damp substrate.

So - if any one has any words of wisdom, tips, care sheet links etc for any small Hylids, I'd love to hear about it!

I am really shocked by this...
PS
These H. arborea resemble another colony I have that was bought under the name of H. savignyi - are these really different species? I can find little about savignyi.

P

paul

Matt,

Im no expert on hyla..as you know,but as I understand it from Northern Portugal you get Hyla arborea molleri, from Crete hyla arborea kretensus.The italian varities are hyla intermedia(sometimes called italica,maculata or variegata)The ones from corsica and sardinia(as I discussed with you before,I saw these in the wild and they are stunning)are known as hyla sarda,the fropm southern Poprtugal/spain are hyla meridionalis.Hope this helps

mike

Reaction score
Hi Matthew,
Most of the H.savignyi in the UK originate from Cypress. They are also endemic to Turkey, Russia, Iran, and the Republic of Yemen.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1