Breeding bombina's ( fire belly toads)

C

christopher

hey guys I was wondering if you guys had any good links about breeding bombina's cause right now I have 2 females and 3 males in a 29 gallon tank with 45% water and so far no such luck,yet.......but they have breed before and for some odd reason this year they wont??
nono.gif
..well can any one help
thanxs...

OH I forgot to mention that their were eggs laid but none of them were fertilized???
help

sorry I should have put this under the bombina discussion part..

Hi.

They've bred before, so you probably do have male and females.
A cool (cold) winters resting-period at some 10F is very stimulating to develop healthy eggs for a start.
Together with rising temps during spring, a higher light-intensity is an absolute must: not just a small single light-bulb, but tubes, many tubes, Bombina need a lot of light to flourish (and breed).
Higher temps and more light means a far more active metabolism: more food, much more food, another important breeding-stimulation (earthworms).
Higher temps, up to some 68F are great to breed.
You could try an 80% water-part, with lots of floating plants, about 4 inches deep.
Good hiding-spots are also import during the breeding-period, especially to the females.
Good luck! Han.

Mine (almost) always spawn when I change their water in summer, they'll not spawn at any other time.

I usually let the water level drop to a few cm, then tip in lots of cold water to bring it up to the maximum level again.

They'll usually spawn a couple of days after this.

well thanks for the advice but my fire belly is already pregnant.....
happy.gif
...I did exactly what you guys just explained but I did it about 3-4 days ago and I can already see a bulg in one of the females...this could just be her gaining weight but I dont think it is because she is spending more then half her time in the water around the paper strips that jennifer has posted on caudata culture so I cant wait....
biggrin.gif
..Ill keep you guys posted

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back