Firebelly toads and amplexus?

D

denise

I have had my 3 firebelly toads for a few days now and since the very first day one of them has been calling so I am certain that one is a male. On MANY occasions I have seen him hugging the one particular toad (always the same one) and that toad appears to stay still while he does his thing. As I said, this has happened many many times over the past few days. However, last night he had a hold of the toad again and they were in the water. The presumably female toad seemed very distressed about the situation. She was definitely trying to get away from him and she was making a strange kind of chirping sound. Finally the third toad seemed to be concerned about what was happening and quickly hopped over to the other two which in turn made the male let go of the female.

Now I am wondering if the one that the male has been hugging all this time is actually a female since it made this chirping sound and tried desperately to get away. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I thought only the males make a noise?

Also, could the male possibly drown the poor female while hugging her since he refuses to let go and she was under water?

if the 'chirping sound' was quite load, it would be a male! females are much quieter/silent
The other male sees the male in amplexus, even though its only in amplexus with a male, and tries to get anything just incase he can steal what he thinks is a female.
So basically you probably have 3 males!

AJfr0ggy

I have two fire bellied toads a male and a female.
The male makes a chirping sound which sounds like na ha ha ha ha and the female makes a whoop whoop noise.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back