Constant Croaking + Amplexus harrassment

S

scarletbegonias

I recently received two male FBTs (I named them Tan Dun and Yo Yo Ma b/c they're chinese), and I enjoy them very much. However, I made the mistake of not putting a heater in the water over the winter, which apparently has caused the larger of my two male b. orientalis to go into breeding mode now that it has warmed up. This has caused two problems:

1. The large male is constantly croaking loudly, almost 24/7. My family is not happy about this, especially when they are trying to sleep. And no, they don't think it is "soothing" or "cute" ;) I can still hear the chirping in the back of my head when I'm at school or whereever. I may be going crazy.

2. The larger male jumps on my little guy, who is very tame and is my favorite (though I do treat them equally). Even though the little one makes the special clicking noise, the larger one rides him and drags him around until he squirms free. I lowered the water level to 1.5" in fear that someday he will drown the little one. I put in lots of hiding places too for the lil dude, but he is not very smart.

The lil guy (even though he is not that much smaller) is about 2/3 the size of the big one, and they are in a pretty sweet 20gal aquarium full of plants (it's like a bonsai garden)

My question is: If I got a female FBT, would it chill the big male out a little bit, or make it worse? Also, how long will this go on for? I have read that it will go on til summer, but I live in florida and it stays warm for autumn too. Is there anyway I can cut the season short, besides cooling the water? I really don't want to have to get rid of any frogs or separate them.

Thank you for any possible help!

(Message approved by jennewt)

The addition of the female will not change the behaviors. The female may not be receptive and if this is the case then amplexus will not occur and the male will continue his behavior. You would have to change the conditions to shift the male out of the breeding conditions.

Ed

I've had my fire-bellies go into breeding mode just with a water change. Try darkening the tank since these guys are mostly diurnal.

Thanks, I will definitely try that
happy.gif

(Message approved by ed)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back