Bombina problem

K

killian

I bought some oriental fire bellied toads from a petshop the other day. they are very underweight and I cannot persuade them to eat. is there any way of encouraging them to eat? is force feeding an option? I would be afraid opening their mouths as they look very delicate.

Thank you
Killian

More information needed:

How big are they?

How are you keeping them?

What have you tried feeding them?

They are about 4-5cm long, their back legs are as thin as cocktail sticks although they are very active.

I am am keeping them in an indoor semi aquatic tank 2' x 18"

I have tried blood worm from tweezers, wax worms, small crickets, woodlice etc.

Killian

At 4-5cm they are fully grown adults, I would recommend you keep trying with the waxworm (try selecting a smaller waxworm), hold it in a pair of tweezers and rub it on the toads nose if they do not appear interested at first keep trying as they will eventually snap at it out of annoyance. Also dust the waxworm with a good supplement this will help build them up and also the stronger smell of the supplement is often enough of a stimulant to get them feeding.

Force-feeding is no option with Bombina.
Usually they are very greedy and will try anything that moves and fits the mouth, so there might be something wrong with the set-up. Tanksize/number of toads? How aquatic is semi-aquatic? Air- and water-temperature? Lighting?
Ventilation? Hiding-spots?

Han.

hiding-spots are great for fbt. They love live/real plants. I have a plant that bushes out and goes down to the dirt, and my fbt LOVE IT!
it is a good thing if you have live plants in the cage...they put off air and for some reason they love it. And it is a hiding-spot! try it and see
what happens

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back