Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water temp for FBT?

J

john

if an admin comes around here, you mise well delete this post. No one is answering it.

W

william

normal water temps of 18 degrees should do. but i'm no expert

can i just suggest that you try to find out simple pieces of info like this by yourself, you'll find it quicker.

J

john

I did try to find a care sheet about it and more... but nothin said anything about water temp. Thx Ed. They are usually 72F but I took the heat lamp off the water area and now it dropped to 65F. I will try to keep it up there. Is a hot spot of 85F to hot on the land.

J

john

Ok. Now it only gets to 80F in one spot and the water is around 72F. My tank is half and half. The land area has a good gradient of 70F to 80F.

W

william

the 80F is no good! this species live in Korea and russia, just keep the tank at a constant temperature all over

J

john

really. What is the hottest it should get in the tank? And know gradient. Why not? I dont understand. Isnt a gradient a good thing for herps so they can regulate their body tempurature.

W

william

if i was going to keep this species i would give it no heating at all, unless i lived somewhere that was very cold anyway, i'm no expert, but i can tell you now that at those temps you'll have some very sick/stressed/dead toads

http://www.pollywog.co.uk/orientalfbtcaresheet.html

this caresheet plainly states that the tank will not need additional heat unless the temperature of the room drops below 15 degrees c

J

john

Well they have been at that temp for the whole time I've had them. I quess they do spend most if not all of there time in the water though and it is cooler in there. Thx for all the help man. I will rectify the temps as soon as I get home from work.

J

john

I always want the best for all my animals. I have alot of them. Thx again for the help. Man you answer quickly. lol
lol.gif

W

william

speed saves time and money, and in this case fire bellied toads
frog.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1