Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FBT gender?

S

sara

I have 3 firebellied toads. They seem to be happy and healthy, and there is a lot of calling and amplexus going on in their tank. I am trying to figure out whether I have 2 males and a female or 3 males.
The one I suspect is a girl is slightly lighter in colour, somewhat slimmer in build, a bit smaller, less bumpy, and more quiet, though she did chirp a tiny little bit when she was moved from the transport bag to the tank because she objected to being handled for that short period. The other two chirp and peep almost constantly.
The two I suspect to be males have little spines on their heels/backs of their legs. The one I suspect to be female lacks those.
During amplexus, she sometimes submits and lets the male grab her and amplex, but sometimes she protests, shoves him off, and makes one or two quiet little chirps that I can barely hear.

So, am I right? Is the smaller, lighter, smoother one a girl?

D

denise

Hi Sara, nice to see you. That is a good question and I hope someone comes along with the answer. I have three as well and I'm still trying to figure out if I have a female. I have heard that if they chirp at all during amplexus then it is likely a male.

A

ajfr0ggy

It sounds like a female.
The only way to be sure is to wait until she lays eggs.
If you see it attempt to grab one, then its a male for sure.
But females are generally smoother, lighter, more pear shaped, and will only make a quiet version of the release call if distressed or not receptive, so it seems you have 2.1

AJfr0ggy

(Message edited by ajfr0ggy on August 04, 2004)

J

james

You have three males im sur of it ive had a ton of them and only the males chirp its a mating call the females dont have the same vocal chords

A

ajfr0ggy

The females do make a sound, the same as the males release call, but quieter.
I can guarantee it, as my quiet chirping one laid eggs!

AJfr0ggy

K

kiare

i have a FBT(Sam) in with a tiger salamander(Frodo) and Sam never makes ne sound, what am i doing wrong?! i have the right water depth and a hidey place, i dont understand why Sam doesnt make ne sounds, he just sits there in the water and is very quite. i think sam is a male im not sure. i also looked up the sound FBT make and i recoreded it and i play it often to try to encourage sam to make noise, however i have not been succesful. i dont know it this means its a female b/c its soo quite or if its lonley. please help me! lol

han

Reaction score
Sexing Bombina is easy when the toads are adult and well-fed: the upper-part of the male's front-legs is definitely thicker, his hind-legs are longer, the webbing reaches upto the toe-tips.
In general the males are more robust with wartier/rougher dorsal skin, have bigger heads.
It's impossible to sex Bombina by its colour.

Han.

A

ajfr0ggy

Out of the 8 firebellies ive owned, the lightest one was the female. But I agree the physical differences are much more reliable, and even more so, the behaviour of them.

AJfr0ggy

A

amanda

I have 3 firebellies , i have them in a classroom. I have never heard them make any sounds. we want to have eggs, but i don't know if i have a female. Someone help me

A

ajfr0ggy

Do you have any photos of them?
they may well be all females

A

alex

i have a pair of FBT right now, amazing beautiful creatures.

i'm quite sure that i have a male and a female due to their stance of one on top of the other at the edge of the water pool and the occasion croaking of one of them.

though they get together once a while, i dun sight any eggs, its there any other pre requisites???

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!